What did you do with your tank(s) today?

BPSabelhaus

Did some work on the future bonsai. Long way to go, but a good start.
PXL_20240807_170935247.jpgPXL_20240806_195706307.jpgPXL_20240807_170959507.jpgPXL_20240806_214025217.MP.jpgPXL_20240807_021134956.jpg

Captured scudzilla
PXL_20240807_221452219.jpg

Dropped a couple Bettas off at Sierra and stared at the roseline sharks in the big tank..love watching those.
PXL_20240807_203151647.MP.jpg

Last edited:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Some morning tank cleaning with a little bit more detailing on three of the garage tanks. All three had good glass cleanings, gravel vacs, scrub off heaters, and the glass tops too. I like to be able to do some detail cleaning like this to keep down on the build up. A never ending chore! lol

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Morning water changes to more tanks, just have my puffer tank left. These are a bit more extensive cleanings with some good scrubbing of glass and heater guards. The tanks seem sparkly now, lol.

BPSabelhaus

Gave away the last blue Betta. Male with split ventrals that I didn't notice until I cupped him. So I got to research a little bit more about them :) Apparently a mutation of feather tail and downgrades it as a show Betta.

Whatever lol New owner loves him and his extra special ventral fins and has him in a planted 10 :)

Just need to get Pinkie off to one of my wife's employees then I can move Brain into the kitchen and free up another tank :) Brain has a lot more body black than pinkie did at the same size and he displayed purple irridescence when a juvenile. Hoping that comes back when he's set instead of the pink that pinkie has.

Bonus, I just took down the shelf I had a lot of the Bettas on. Have not needed it for about a month, nothing on it but empty boxes, nets and random supplies. But I walked in to check on things and it's like "oh yeah, all the Bettas are gone" lol

PXL_20240813_173829328.jpgPXL_20240813_173201604.jpgPXL_20240813_174125126.jpg
Yay! Patterns

Last edited:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I was feeding some frozen food to the gold fish and it made a huge mess of the tank. The stuff is San Francisco Emerald Entree. It is readily accepted by the fish but the particles are all over. I had forgot about how bad the stuff was. Hadn’t used it in so long I ended buying it again, lol. I need to put a note in my wallet saying “don’t ever buy this again”

BPSabelhaus

I feel the same about frozen tubifex. By the time the fish eat them, all the good juicy bits melt into the water and they only pick at it. Bloodworms stay together at least. Frozen daphnia are similar. Just a mess of shells floating about.

BPSabelhaus

Right? Should at least be large enough for a Betta to swim into its mouth lol

Gathered goldfish food. Wonder how long it will last? lolPXL_20240814_194304081.jpgPXL_20240814_215516824.jpg

They don't eat the water lettuce or spangles, but that's fine :)

Last edited:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Set up my quarantine totes for new goldies coming in
IMG_20240818_125709792.jpg
I used the Aquarium Co-Op medium sponge filters for up to 20 gallons on them and I really like them a lot. I am using brand new tap water, Safe water conditioner, and Fluval cycle for the temporary tanks. Making sure all the fish are healthy before they start to mingle with each other. So I am going to do at least a minimum two week separation before I mix fish together.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
This is how an STD (Seasonal Tub Disorder) starts lol
I dont want to be known as the STD guy, lol

These are totally temporary in use. After my last bout of the plague which resulted in the loss of three expensive goldies, I am being super careful this time around. One of the vendors I had been emailing even mention that they dont mix fish from different farms for at least two weeks. If I would have followed that advice I may not have had the losses. My brain was basically justifying the fact they were all technically in quarantine as new fish together. But all three were from different vendors. Such a rookie mistake and I knew it. I got cocky because all the fish up to this point adapted quickly and had no issues and I considered the goldies bulletproof. Lesson learned.

Last edited: