What did you do with your tank(s) today?

MegaraSai

30% water change via fitting my Aqueon mini-vacuum tube on top of the ACO sponge filter collar, as an experiment in lieu of removing the filter for cleaning. The end of the vacuum fit perfectly, and much dirty water was extracted without messing up the rest of the tank, thus I consider it a successful experiment.

Also glued one of the larger mini-java ferns to a pebble of dragonstone after removing yet another black thread, then used the emery board in my nail clippers to sand the edges before dropping it back in.

--MS

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Waiting for one fish to come in today and the others tomorrow. Today is Yuan Bao panda (oranda) day. This has turned out to be my absolute favorite of the goldfish breeds. Ive had a few now and I dont know why but they seem to be more outgoing in nature and some of the friendliest fish with mine eating pellets from my fingers. They are just "cute" because they are just a big fluffy ball of a fish especially with the short fins. Anyway, excitement for new fish is evident, lol

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
New fish arrived earlier than expected. Looks very healthy and seems perkier than others that have come straight out of the box. Likely the next day air and cold packs in the box with pretty mild outside temps helped. This is the fish that came today
IMG_1764.jpeg
It gets the 65B all to itself as its quarantine tank. The ones coming tomorrow are from a different vendor and will share a tote. I like the idea of the tote too in case I have to medicate for any reason, much lower water volume so meds would stretch further out.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
A moment of learning...

Quote from article: "Consider the herring, for one. Not only can the fish fart, it does so on purpose in order to communicate. Herring fart at a frequency too high for predator fish to hear, so their flatulence functions as a secret fish code."

Stuff I didnt need to know, but now do, lol

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone buy moss balls lately?
Not the first time they have been found…

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Eagerly awaiting second ship of goldies from a different vendor today. On this order I have the elusive 'Milk Cow' ranchu which is a calico with cow patterns. High end ones have very little orange but I picked one with a lot of orange cause I wanted color in the tank since Im viewing it from the side. Also a dragon eye pearlscale is coming. Normally I do not like any of the telescope eyed goldfish but these ones are kind of cute so I ended up with one. These will be in a quarantine tote for two weeks minimum before being introduced to any other fish.

As to the new arrival yesterday, he was very peppy and I fed a little frozen brine shrimp in the evening which he chowed down. Put some pellets in this morning and I saw him going at those too. Good sign that he is adapting well. Really makes me rethink saving a few bucks and shipping next day air instead of 2 day. Fish just seems so much more active and unstressed.

BPSabelhaus

Not the first time they have been found…
Yeah, just seems to have hit the point of why? lol
Just keeps happening. Clearly we have issues with propagating this so why? Time to move onto culturing a different product. It's just a ball with moss growing on it. Plenty of aquatic mosses that are much prettier. The ball is the product. Purge and sterilize the production tanks, change moss and start fresh. The collection points for this moss are probably all infested at this point and rush for demand means missing young hitchhikers:(

BPSabelhaus

Loving the scales on that gold one. Pearlscale, right? Can't wait to see both in tank. I always love multicolor goldfish, but scales often take a little getting used to. That one just has a beautiful pattern and immediately caught my eye. Very symmetrical, not wandering about.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Loving the scales on that gold one. Pearlscale, right? Can't wait to see both in tank. I always love multicolor goldfish, but scales often take a little getting used to. That one just has a beautiful pattern and immediately caught my eye. Very symmetrical, not wandering about.
Yes, Pearlscale but with the unique 'dragon eye'. I love the fact the vendor had pics up of the fish since a few others had some missing spots where there should have been the raised scales. This one seems pretty uniform looking.

The vendor picture:
DEP02.jpg
The picture does not even capture how round this thing is, basically a ball shape with a tiny head and giant eyes, lol. My top view shot better shows the roundness of it.

Last edited:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
The house has been a bit of a mess with the blower motor out on our air handler so we have not been able to use the heat pump at all for the past couple days. The temp in the house has been a pretty steady 76 degrees and its been rough sleeping at night. With all the aquariums, Im sure this contributes to the temps in the house staying a bit higher, didnt remind the wife of that, lol. The new motor is supposed to get installed today so hopefully relief is in sight! We had tapped into the ductwork and ran vents out into the garage so that it is also pretty comfortable all year, but with the open totes as quarantine tanks, it seems kind of muggy in the fish room. The washer and dryer are also in the garage so add that going and the muggy feel was even worse.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Yay! I have working air conditioning and temps are now down to 70.

BPSabelhaus

First goldfish from the spawn to show potential:) White body, black caudal and mask :)
1000014608.jpg
1000014613.jpg
Working on moving the swordtails out of the kitchen tank and into the breeding rack so I can move the goldfish with potential into a tank I can actually photograph them lol Also would be nice to watch them from the side while I can :)

So it wasn't the lights, it's orange too. Moved it into the kitchen tank.

PXL_20240824_215344886.jpg
PXL_20240824_215346252.jpg

Last edited:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Ugh, tired of my quarantine totes in the way. Going on about a week now with the new fish separated from each other. But as the time progresses Im really leaning towards possibly a little longer than a 2 week quarantine. I see good eating from the milk cow ranchu but the pearlscale a bit harder to tell if it is eating well. I see it eating the brine shrimp but not really going at the pellets. Will give it some more time and see.