What did you do with your tank(s) today?

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Yesterday, I finally filled up my 40g classroom tank. Being that I didn’t have cycled media handy, I used the synthetic bacteria in a bottle…. Of course I don’t want to throw my expensive fish in there just yet, so I went to petsmart and bought 5 “large” comet goldfish. The gal at the store told me not to buy them as they all came in sick and would probably die. I told her that was ok.

I went in this am real quick to check on them and they are not only alive, but active and were actively looking for food. I fed them and they readily ate.

The plan will be to keep them in the tank for the first month, then I’ll give them to my uncle for his pond or give them to a student. I will then bring in some more unique fish from my collection at home.

I typically swap fish in and out of my classroom tank about 3 times a year ( October / January / April). I’m thinking about naming the goldfish after 1990s gangster rap icons, haha

I’d take a pic of them, but comets are not really my thing so they aren’t something I get excited about.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Labor day... Anyone else working today?

At my job, if I didn't work today the guys wouldn't be getting paid tomorrow. So today I did payroll and dreamed about a job where I got ALL the paid holidays off like other companies do.

BPSabelhaus

Not sure if the wife is doing payroll today or not lol She typically ends up having to do something on holidays or time off. Veterinary hospital manager. There's always a payroll/schedule issue/ client or employee issue to handle.
IT always IT issues lol
Forgot why I came in lol Been watching the sticklebacks and feeding a lot of live food. So much that they're basically ignoring daphnia, eating mosquito, worms etc... and snacking on the daphnia occasionally :) Hopefully I can keep the population up for awhile and maybe trigger some spawning behavior or color changes.
Regardless, they're interesting to observe.
Love this ones pattern. Dots instead of mottled stripes
1000014694.jpg

Last edited:

MegaraSai

Changed out the PhosGuard bag and the AQQA air pump that had gotten annoyingly buzzy with a new cheap Whisper, then trimmed and planted water sprite, leaving extra floaters this time because they encourage Sai to stay at the front (once he stops being upset I removed some of them). I was then going to add some Advance to encourage the newly planted sprite to root (if wiggly fish don't uproot it first), but got a 'pssh' when I opened it so noooope, gotta replace the bottle first.

Did discover yesterday that Sai is apparently afraid of my red shirts, and the blues are finally big enough to try to eat tiny bloodworms, which is as adorable as when Ryan was that small and would proudly swim around with one sticking out of her mouth. They've also become brave enough to spread individually across the front of the tank.

--MS

Last edited:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Did discover yesterday that Sai is apparently afraid of my red shirts
That is interesting because Ive read of others who have made comments about red in particular being a color that some fish do not like. Ive always wondered the logic of the company that makes the “infa-red” aquarium nets and say fish cant see them… well if thats the case shouldn’t the red shirt make you invisible to fish, lol.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
I have a red net that is useful for herding fish into a normal (green) net when I am using the two-net method to catch them. They really try to avoid the red net. :oops:

BPSabelhaus

That is interesting because Ive read of others who have made comments about red in particular being a color that some fish do not like. Ive always wondered the logic of the company that makes the “infa-red” aquarium nets and say fish cant see them… well if thats the case shouldn’t the red shirt make you invisible to fish, lol.
Different wavelength. The IR blockers prevent light from being emitted back so a clear net is truly clear. They probably see the frame and that's it. Whereas a red shirt is reflecting that red back like a spawning male or other defensive flaring that causes red coloration in fish. Like eyeglasses with UV coating coloring up. At least until the stuff they apply gets all scratched up even with anti scratch coating lol

Whether or not the fish see colors / UV the same as us, I doubt. But it's a marketable gimmick to get rid of excess military production of advanced stuff lol

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I have the red nets because they were one of the companies that made nets with long handles since I have such a fondness for the taller show tanks. I have never found them to be any more effective than other colors of which Ive used white, green, black and blue with equal success.

MegaraSai

It seems to be the shirts that are all-over red that he's immediately afraid of. Other colors with red in the design are fine.

Checked the newly planted sprite - gravel's been moved out from under it but it stayed in place on its own so far so at least one root is still buried/anchored. Still need to get a new bottle of Advance, too, but am temporarily stuck at home.

--MS

Last edited:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Was super excited that my Universal Rock order came in! I go to put it into the tank and...
IMG_20240903_192449200.jpg
IT WONT SINK!
IMG_20240903_192156639_HDR.jpg
Inside the "rock" there is too much material and it has formed an air pocket or bubble that prevents it from sinking.

Emailed them the problem, will see what happens tomorrow.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Out of curiosity, can you pop the bubble/s with a small stick? Even a tiny amount might be enough.
Its a very thick layer of a rubbery/plastic material likely would need to drill through it. I am letting the company take care of it. Who knows maybe they will just let me keep this one and send another replacement. Whatever the case I will see if they will do something for my inconvenience.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Got a response back first thing this morning from Universal rocks apologizing for the problem and said they would be sending a new one out. They didn’t say anything about returning the other one. If I am keeping it, I might attempt to drill it to try and reuse in another tank.

BPSabelhaus

Its a very thick layer of a rubbery/plastic material likely would need to drill through it. I am letting the company take care of it. Who knows maybe they will just let me keep this one and send another replacement. Whatever the case I will see if they will do something for my inconvenience.
Ah, wasn't sure if it was just a small hole getting blocked. Yeah, holes need uh holes lol

MegaraSai

I kinda wondered about Universal Rocks' 'rocks' being as they make so much that's actually hollow for reptiles, etc. But love to see good customer service, tho!

Looks like Parona is gradually uprooting the sprite with her pebble flipping habit, but its still in the area so far. XD She can't get to the other one.

--MS

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Adding a QT tank set up. I promise this is only temporary! lol
IMG_20240908_142835775_HDR.jpg
I think the 10g will go back and I will get the 20H for the top of the stand instead.

John58Ford

Adding a QT tank set up. I promise this is only temporary! lol
View attachment 14376
I think the 10g will go back and I will get the 20H for the top of the stand instead.
Lol. For a long time I kept a 10 gallon under my TV stand behind the closed doors as a long term quarantine. Originally it was also "only temporary". Eventually it was discovered by others in the house that I had fully planted it with culled plants and turned it into a betta tank. The doors came off the TV stand for a year or so before I finally caved and broke down the tank, returning the doors to the TV cabinet. I've thought seriously about adding another 10 gallon under the maintenance storage half of the 125, never know when it might come in handy. Maybe keep it under there *and put a 20 tall above it; you can argue it wasn't worth loading it back into the car to return it lol. 10s are a great place to keep up to 20 juvenile rummy nose, harlequin etc in quarantine for a few months before dumping them into another tank that needs some schoolers. I wish I could find locally bred schoolers but the import prices are pretty hard to beat.