What did you do with your tank(s) today?

40GallonsOfDoom

Gave them a treat. They have started to explore the space and not hide.

Attachments

• 20240923_163924.jpg
    20240923_163924.jpg
    248.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 20240923_163934.jpg
    20240923_163934.jpg
    274.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 20240923_164000.jpg
    20240923_164000.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 6

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Contributing Member Level III
Angels are flighty, and do not like a tank that is open on all sides, especially if there is no cover, i. e. plants.

MegaraSai

BPSabelhaus, Alex sure does look like she's been having fun!

Discovered why at least one blue rasbora is always a ways away from the rest of the school. They're keeping an eye on my kuhli Crawley. According to Alexander Williamson (aka Fishtory!), scientists have discovered that rasboras communicate about such things via number of clicks, letting eachother know about predators, etc., and obviously back when she did the creepy lizard/snake hunting moves at them they took her seriously (unlike all the fishkeepers who claim kuhlis are cuddly puppydogs who wouldn't hurt anybody...even tho cuddly puppydogs also rip people's faces off :rolleyes:). Well the last couple mornings I've been able to observe this more directly, as the lack of sunlight has allowed Crawley to come out for breakfast without getting a seizure. And she's had two blues, a male and female (for some reason; the other male hangs with the other two females a distance away), hovering an inch above her the whole time until she goes back into her shrimp hut (granted she does like to sit with her head out like a moray). Not close enough to harass or annoy, but Sai has also been making sure everyone is staying apart by 'casually' swimming by, like when he tried to interrupt the fights between kubotai Ryan and garra Parona.

--MS

BPSabelhaus

She loves climbing things lol Trying to find a longer piece of fir bark for her, but I exhausted my front yard supply. Time for a hike I guess lol

I have not yet crashed these colonies and they are actually growing lol
PXL_20240926_200555924.jpgPXL_20240926_200639235.jpgPXL_20240926_200540215.MP.jpgPXL_20240926_200544907.jpg

Last edited:

40GallonsOfDoom

I haven't attached any of the plants I got from @fishguy1978 last night but everything is in the angel tank. The angels have started to recognize me as the food delivery service so they are coming to greet me, which is always a fun thing. The catfish are all busy or not so busy doing catfish stuff.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Stopped at Pet Work in Longview as I was coming back from a weekend trip in Long Beach.
IMG_20240928_105537640.jpg
Saw some Japanese trap door snails that they kept with their goldfish, and I was super tempted to get a few but I never have been a spur of the moment purchaser, I like to research first. If anyone else has info on these snails let me know.

BPSabelhaus

Have four (I think) that I added to the pond. Collected from a pond at a park so I know they overwinter. Have not seen them since I added them. Either at the bottom of the pond or the bottom of the big loaches stomach lol Mine are / were the black variety.

40GallonsOfDoom

Stopped at Pet Work in Longview as I was coming back from a weekend trip in Long Beach.
View attachment 14428
Saw some Japanese trap door snails that they kept with their goldfish, and I was super tempted to get a few but I never have been a spur of the moment purchaser, I like to research first. If anyone else has info on these snails let me know.
Whats your opinion on that location versus the Oly? I'm pretty much between them both but the Oly has more places to eat than Longview.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Whats your opinion on that location versus the Oly? I'm pretty much between them both but the Oly has more places to eat than Longview.
The Olympia store is much nicer with the space in the fish department. Aisles are wider and just a more comfortable shopping experience. The tanks are larger and they seem to get some rarer fishes.

Longview has a lot of smaller tanks but all had a a large selection of community friendly fishes. Didn’t see anything I would consider rare or unusual but this was just one visit and I only get there every two years or so. The aisles are a bit narrow and feels a bit cramped if two people are on opposite sides looking at fish. There is an area in the back of the fish room that seems like it should just get closed off but thats where they kept their goldfish.

On the note of fish stores, there was one in the Three rivers mall. They looked brand new and they hadn’t opened yet to check them out. In the display window they had some puffers, a tank with red spot severum, some sort of glow fish angels, syno cats. Wanted to check them out but they were not going to open for another half hour and we were just stopping for a break before driving home.

MegaraSai

Watched Prime Time Aquatics video podcast and dangit if John didn't convince me to try Sicce again! So tossed a Shark Pro Nano filter in my monthly Amazon order (from the Sicce store). It corrects the problems I had with the Micron Nano that made me send them back (multiple issues caused by the damn suckers), by attaching with magnets now and modular filter sections that appear easy to remove.

--MS

40GallonsOfDoom

Watched Prime Time Aquatics video podcast and dangit if John didn't convince me to try Sicce again! So tossed a Shark Pro Nano filter in my monthly Amazon order (from the Sicce store). It corrects the problems I had with the Micron Nano that made me send them back (multiple issues caused by the damn suckers), by attaching with magnets now and modular filter sections that appear easy to remove.

--MS
Have you had issues with Sicce? Just asking because I've seen the name a lot.

MegaraSai

Yep. But just a specific model, the Micron Nano, bought when I was setting up my current tank. I had seen Cory's video from a few years ago when the Micron Nano was new and it looked good, but what I received from Amazon looked different so there had been a redesign apparently. The main problem was where the holes for the suction cups were - the upper two were on the seam of the top of the motor housing which made it impossible to attach the suction cups without popping the top off; the bottom two were on the media cup that you were supposed to be able to easily detatch from the motor for cleaning, making it the OPPOSITE of 'easy to detatch'. And the slider had an open gap that a small leaf got sucked into and killed the motor. Sent it back to Amazon, they sent a replacement. Theeeennnn the replacement filter's suction cups would not hold AT ALL and the filter would hang loose and twist and turn in the back corner until I almost gave in to the desire to throw it against a wall. Amazon gave me a refund at this point.

The Shark Pro Nano, however, has no suction cups! :D I was looking for a small filter that could hold some PhosGuard, too, which it can. So trying again.

You've heard of Sicce all over because they're one of the best companies; doesn't mean they can't toss an occasional lemon to an unlucky customer. ;)

--MS