What did you do with your tank(s) today?

BPSabelhaus

Went down to the green yesterday and collected more elodea and something feather lol Dipped some fry just to see who's there now. Salmonids have moved into deeper waters, but now I think there are peamouth in the shallows. Couldn't find any crustaceans though. Either way, the stickleback 30 is now filled with plants and my daily dumping of live foods seems to be triggering some chasing behavior:)

Me: "Where is the larger baby Betta?"
Baby Betta: Rises slowly from mass of hair algae:

Ah, the mass is doing its job lol Should probably remove it though, they have no predators lol
1000014796.jpgPXL_20240909_200905612.MP.jpgPXL_20240909_200849055.MP.jpg
Best guess is peamouth.

Last edited:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Feels like Ive been playing catch up on all my tanks. For those who have seen my tanks 'dirty', just imagine that times ten. They were getting bad!

Have been mainly focusing on the QT of the goldfish before introducing all the new fish to each other. Otherwise there was a lot going on with family, the death of my father in law, and helping out with family events related to that. Now that things have settled down again, I have time with the tanks. Now I have a bit more time to spend on the fish again, the tanks are getting back to the way I expect them to look.

BPSabelhaus

Loss is one part, the loss of that knowledge stings later. "How the heck did they do X again? Shoulda paid attention" Eventually the brain kicks it back and you're flooded with good memories. But before that it's really frustrating lol
Extra frustrating when it was their secret thing. I have the recipes written down, but I can't duplicate Grandmas cookies tenderness and flavor. Even a basic peanut butter cup cookie is lacking. I can make them better, but I can't duplicate them

Maybe it's because she baked a lot prior and froze them before her trip from PA to MI lol
Don't know.

Last edited:

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Can’t remember who was looking for Frontosa / African cichlids, but this seems like it might be worth the time to investigate.

See pic IMG_7874.png

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Stopped at Petco yesterday to get a glass top for the 20H QT tank. Lakewood was out of stock, Tacoma Mall does not carry glass tops and finally I ended up at 6th ave. Tacoma to get one. now I feel like I might as well order a light for it...

Had to laugh that the wife commented that she liked how the new tank set up looked there. I could easily add a tank to lower shelf and keep this set up and she would approve but doesnt go with my long term plans. Not really to downsize but just a better set up for future needs.

My goal is to change out my 32g Fluvel Flex for a standard 40B which will likely remain empty and available as a QT/Hospital tank. I can simply pull a fully cycled Aquaclear 110 off another tank, pull a heater out of my spare parts bin, and use tank water from another tank and the 40B would be ready to use. This will mean moving the puffer into the 46g bowfront and the EBJD into the 65B the the red wolf is currently in. This is kind of based on the fact I feel like the red wolf may be aging out and will not be around too much longer.

With the movement of the puffer to the 46B, this is making me want to try this tank again as a planted tank but this time with only anubias plants. Last time my mistakes seemed to be trying more difficult plants, having java ferns, and raising a bunch of baby bn plecos that ate into even the anubias leaves. The tank was a mess! Im thinking just a simple set up with just one or two varieties of the easier to keep anubias.

Of course this is all based on saving up for a new 40B and glass top (have everything else already), selling off the Fluvel Flex, and the red wolf passing away.

Last edited:

MegaraSai

Today was fast day until I noticed Parona rather desperately suckering up the wall above the water, pushing up a line of cyano! Answering the 'do panda garras like cyanobacteria?' question with 'yes, at least she does!' XD I had no idea it was growing in that corner, I'll have to back off on sunlight in the late morning. There is some on my light and there's little to no smell, so its under control...in no small part thanks to her obviously!

I gave her a bit of cucumber to help tide her over, and wiped the line of cyano so it wouldn't dry on the wall.

--MS

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Was getting tired of my garage tank light timers all being out of sync, so I went through all six timers and got them all within a minute of each other. Now I can sleep at night, lol

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Was getting tired of my garage tank light timers all being out of sync, so I went through all six timers and got them all within a minute of each other. Now I can sleep at night, lol
You must have better timers than I do. I have the Beamswork Timer/Dimmer modules that are plug-in accessories on Beamswork fixtures, and they work great except for the fact that that don't keep time worth a damn. I can set all 12 of them to the same time, and within a few days they will all be different, and it just gets worse from there.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
You must have better timers than I do. I have the Beamswork Timer/Dimmer modules that are plug-in accessories on Beamswork fixtures, and they work great except for the fact that that don't keep time worth a damn. I can set all 12 of them to the same time, and within a few days they will all be different, and it just gets worse from there.
Mine are the Beamswork ones, 5 of them seem to gain about 2 minutes every couple months but one gains like 6 minutes. The five are usually so close in gain its not that irritating but it is the one oddball that drives me nuts.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Took an Aquaclear 70 off the 46g bowfront, cleaned it and am storing as my emergency back up filter. Pulled an Aquaclear 110 off my 90 gallon and put it on the 46 gallon so that I was putting on a fully cycled filter. Then pulled my spare 110 and replaced the one off the 90. Now all the garage tanks have the same filters.

I am too efficient for my own good sometimes. I wasnt sure if I had stored the 110 with a sponge so I purchased some aftermarket ones from Amazon in preparation for this change out. Well guess what? The aftermarket ones were cut too small and wouldn’t work without a ton of bypass. And it turned out I did store the filter with a new sponge already in it. Sending those aftermarket sponges back!

Oscars Rule

Cleaned all my tanks yesterday and got a some black knight rams and I'm so happy I've kept blue and the gold before so stoked about these ones.

Attachments

• IMG_20240916_121513065.jpg
    IMG_20240916_121513065.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20240916_121704477.jpg
    IMG_20240916_121704477.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 3

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Slow times in the fish room right now.

Still waiting for my replacement rock from Universal Rocks. They said it just shipped so maybe next week? Would love to finish up the decor on my 65B tank that it is going into. By then my ranchu with the inflamed lateral line should be healed up and ready to go into its permanent home too. Its responded very well to treatment with the Metroplex, salt and Stress guard. You really cant tell its there anymore but I will finish the full treatment term which is just one more week.

Im a bit torn as to whether I still want to keep my ranchu that completely lost its black coloration. I still have it up on the for sale section and really havent tried to rehome it very hard. Super disappointed but also was not knowledgeable at the beginning that this could happen with the 'Apache' types that had a gold base and black. Its a cute fish but I was trying not to have a bunch of plain gold looking fish. Wanted more diversity in color and types. Oh well, its cute and very owner responsive, so not a huge loss.

Continuing to play catch up on filter cleanings with three Aquaclears left to clean. Pretty happy overall with all my stock and everything going on otherwise. No plans to add anything or make any stock changes at the moment.

Anybody else doing anything of interest? (@fishguy1978, sorry to hear of the temporary shut down of the fish room)