What did you do with your tank(s) today?

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Hadn’t been to my local Petco and Petsmart stores in a while. Stop by both Lakewood stores and it amazes me that Petco still carries common pleco, and they had quite a few, ugh. Didn’t buy anything there but I bought some frozen fish food at Petsmart. At least both stores were well stocked and fish looked good.

BPSabelhaus

Hadn’t been to my local Petco and Petsmart stores in a while. Stop by both Lakewood stores and it amazes me that Petco still carries common pleco, and they had quite a few, ugh. Didn’t buy anything there but I bought some frozen fish food at Petsmart. At least both stores were well stocked and fish looked good.
When the Federal Way store opened they had white bichirs about 2.5 in long. My brain wrote it off as the manager ordered one for themselves and had to order 12 or whatever to get one lol

Well, took some time today and figured out which tub the scuds are reproducing well or at least were easiest to catch lol In the process found the source of the tubifex and maybe black worms. Not sure if larvae of something else just yet. Got at least 2 dozen scud and a bunch of tubifex in a 2.5 gallon with some daphnia. A back up for the 10 gallon with daphnia, elodea and a few scuds at the moment.

Last edited:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
When the Federal Way store opened they had white bichirs about 2.5 in long. My brain wrote it off as the manager ordered one for themselves and had to order 12 or whatever to get one lol
Young Senegal bichirs can be very light almost white or they have albino ones that are quite commonplace. Petsmart carries the regular sens all the time. Petco in Lakewood will occasionally get the closely related rope fishes. I kind of miss having my bichirs but at this point I feel like I dont have a tank for any.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Perfect timing for once. Moved a brooding female Cyprichromis leptosoma Mpimbwe from the main colony into a 40g brooding tank, and she released her fry a few hours later. I count 9 fry, so that's a good-sized batch for such a young female. These are one of my favorites.

CYPRICHROMIS-LEPTOSOMA-TRICOLOR-MPIMBWE.jpg

BPSabelhaus

Yesterday I managed to catch the EBJD with a bit of natural light hitting it.
View attachment 14237
The kiddo wants one right now lol. Loves shades of blue to blue green like that.

PXL_20240729_185155934.jpg
The fifth graders of the baby goldfish school. Being bullies and taking lunch money. Was considering detention, but sent them back to class.
2am
PXL_20240729_053351200.jpg
10 am
PXL_20240729_180748108.jpg
"Loki what have you done?" Is far too common a phrase in this house lol

Last edited:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Feeling like a female ranchu goldfish might be holding eggs and having some issues. Did a gravel vac of the tank and water change just to make sure it isnt water related though the other 3 (males) goldfish are fine. Not sure if after work tonight I should try and massage her belly or try an Epsom salt bath. Ive never had experience with this before... Thoughts? I could always YouTube it, lol

Last edited:

Oscars Rule

Haven't been on in a while so I thought after a water change I would share a picture.

Attachments

• IMG_20240730_182122681.jpg
    IMG_20240730_182122681.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 2

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Finished removing inhabitants from the lower 55g and drained it. The double stack rack is out and the floor swept. Four cinder blocks hauled in.

MegaraSai

Weekly Terrorizing of the Fish and Cursing at my inability to get more water sprite to stay stuck in the gravel (weights don't help at all) because it wraps around my tools like a wet snake, same with the java moss - my blues are not happy that I trimmed that and I didn't want to but it ended up being necessary.

Did end up retrieving some of the tossed water sprite and returned it to floating status at the front of the tank because Sai really likes to nap where he can see the TV and I need to keep encouraging his beta (not betta) self to stay out front, plus I hadn't noticed that I'd also tossed baby javas with it; then rearranged the corner of the tank where I had tried to root the water sprite by turning the javamoss log around, adding one of the little driftwoods, and gluing two of the larger baby ferns to small rocks finally. I originally wanted the tank to have an asymmetry with big bushy water sprite in the back on the right down to buce and java ferns on the left with the ginormous tiger lotus ruling the middle with the spiderwood, but the water sprite does better on the left, so adapting.

--MS

MegaraSai

Feeling like a female ranchu goldfish might be holding eggs and having some issues. Did a gravel vac of the tank and water change just to make sure it isnt water related though the other 3 (males) goldfish are fine. Not sure if after work tonight I should try and massage her belly or try an Epsom salt bath. Ive never had experience with this before... Thoughts? I could always YouTube it, lol
I hope you went with the bath instead of trying to force anything. Magnesium helps muscles relax and also acts like a laxative.

--MS

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I hope you went with the bath instead of trying to force anything. Magnesium helps muscles relax and also acts like a laxative.

--MS
Did the bath. I did a very light massage of the belly towards the anus and a little poo but no eggs. did not apply much force, very light touch. I have a lot of experience handling fish and Ive done some very extreme measure things in the past to save sick fish including have to catch and force feed medication down them. While not the first thing I would suggest for the average person sometimes it is a necessary thing, especially once fish stop eating entirely. Im going to try a few more Epsom salt baths to see if she improves.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Finally got around to some glass cleaning of the algae off the 300. This included gravel vac and pulling substrate away from glass to get scrubber down below the substrate line. It looks better but I still need to scrub all the rocks and plants down too. This tank is a challenge with the height and being a show tank. But it sure does look good when its clean! lol

Last edited: