Members'fish pics

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Just realized I screwed up my own post haha

thats what I get for not remembering the “rules” of this one from six years back. Haha

anyway, I think I have reached my quota for the week, but I’ll start doing the pic each day thing in a couple of days

sir_keith

Legendary Member
And now for something different in the world of Tropheus- Tropheus annectens. This species is often referred to as Tropheus polli in the aquarium literature, but that is incorrect, as T. polli (1977) is merely a junior synonym for T. annectens (1900). That’s the polite, scientifically correct way of saying that referring to this species as T. polli is wrong.

T. annectens is one of 9 currently recognized Tropheus species, only 4 of which have been scientifically described. Unlike most Tropheus species, which have dozens of phenotypically distinct populations, T. annectens specimens collected from different locations in the lake appear quite similar; that is, this species is not highly polychromic. It is, however, sexually dichromic, which is unusual among Tropheus species and populations. Females and sub-adults are brownish with striking white vertical bars; adult males are uniformly grey-brown with dark fins; both sexes have blue eyes and lunate tails. T. annectens are also one of the largest Tropheus species, at nearly 7”TL, and they are always found together with other Tropheus species in the lake. Unusual and very pretty fishes IMO.

Annectens_01.jpg

IMGP5431R1.jpg

Last edited:

sir_keith

Legendary Member
I've been alternating posts on this thread between my rock-dwelling Tanganyikans, all Tropheus so far, and featherfins/sand sifters (Xenotilapia, Enantiopus, Ophthalmotilapia) that inhabit the sandy biotope. This is actually an artificial distinction, because there are many areas along the shoreline of Lake Tanganyika that contain both rocks and sand, and Tropheus cohabit these areas with Ophthalmotilapia etc., as can be seen in many underwater videos of the lake. See, for example (second presentation)-

That said, Tropheus and Ophthalmotilapia etc. make very poor tankmates in captivity, because unless you have a truly massive tank, you can't give them enough space to get out of each other's way.

So for today, back to Xenotilapia. This little beauty is Xenotilapia flavipinnis Red Royal, a sexually monomorphic, biparental mouthbrooder from the sand floor. I have eight of these at present, all currently about half-grown at 2"TL. I hope to get bonded pairs as they mature, and to give the pairs enough space so I can observe the biparental mouthbrooding- the female starts out holding the eggs, then transfers them to the male- in captivity. That may be quite a challenge, because these pretty little things are notoriously aggressive towards conspecifics. I also have a colony of WC Xenotilapia spilopterus, an open-water fish that is also a biparental mouthbrooder; and these fishes are breeding already. More on that later. :)

IMGP7371.jpg

sir_keith

Legendary Member
I didn't post in this thread yesterday, so a quick catch-up. This is Tropheus sp. 'red' Chimba, a member of the T. sp. 'red' species complex from the southwest corner of Lake Tanganyika. More on this later.

Chimba is a popular member of the 'red' species group; and I really like way the reticulated pattern of their scales shows off to advantage on these fishes. I no longer have this colony, as I sold it to a friend in 2019. I miss them, but you can't keep everything! :oops:

Chimba_01r1.jpg