What did you do with your tank(s) today?

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
I have been thinking about Croc and his passing.
You were one of the people who really helped me with my polys starting out.
I have a proposal for you.
I want to change up my stock in the 210 to oscars and would love to (if you would have them), give you my wild-caught PBB, Weeksii and Koloton Lap and possibly (if you would like him) my beloved and beautiful 16-17" Indo Tiger. My other polys have died from jumping out while they were in the garage 150 tub... I am keeping the cute lil albino.
They would do perfect as big, peaceful fish in your 300!
What do you think?
That is such a generous offer, let me think a bit on it.

I have not been super happy with the fish in the 300. The Pearsei and Oscar both have been dealing with hole in the head and thats something Ive never had to deal with on this level before. Ive done treatments to the water a few times now and it starts to heal a little then comes back. Im currently doing a medicated feed mixed into some gel food. Not sure if the internal medicating thing will take care of it permanently or not. At this point Im a bit frustrated with the tank and am thinking of a serious hardcore change out. My wife complains about the lack of color and I am raising out 3 red spot sevs and an EBJD which would add a ton of color if I moved them in.

FishBeast

That is such a generous offer, let me think a bit on it.

I have not been super happy with the fish in the 300. The Pearsei and Oscar both have been dealing with hole in the head and thats something Ive never had to deal with on this level before. Ive done treatments to the water a few times now and it starts to heal a little then comes back. Im currently doing a medicated feed mixed into some gel food. Not sure if the internal medicating thing will take care of it permanently or not. At this point Im a bit frustrated with the tank and am thinking of a serious hardcore change out. My wife complains about the lack of color and I am raising out 3 red spot sevs and an EBJD which would add a ton of color if I moved them in.
The offer will remain indefinitely, my friend. In case you are interested just let me know.
In the meantime I'll put my oscars in the empty 150 :)

BPSabelhaus

@DMD123
Here's a video of my beautiful, bold Datnoid. Very stunning and pellet-trained too
I might be starting to gain Woodstocks trust enough for that. He will take them when I let go, but sits right there waiting :)
Moved some fish around. Goldfish fry into the 30 long with about 4 inches of water with daphnia. Added a gallon of green water too. Moved Rose the male Betta into that tank with his decor from his old tank. He can pick off any remaining fry.
Moved some cull Endlers outside. Hopefully the weather is stable enough and I can move the cobras and black bars out over the weekend or early next week.

Sticklebacks are looking great. Want to do a water change to get some tannins out and get some better pics. So much better looking, showing patterns and staking territory. Need to research a bit more, but likely I'll take some of the lighter green / tannin water from the culture tubs and pond to refill what I take out by hand. Really want to breed them at some point.

BPSabelhaus

1000013865.jpg
New stick for Alex :) All cleaned of barnacles, bleached and drying. Probably redo her setup tomorrow.

Pics for fishguy message. Couldn't attach pics for some reason.
Grown out male, have three a bit younger just getting the butterfly pattern.
PXL_20240625_170743094.MP.jpg
PXL_20240625_170846209.jpg
Females
PXL_20240623_234821092.jpg

PXL_20240623_234545867.jpg

Females.

Also have one white/pink that I think is a male, but tough to say. He's larger than the white/pink females not really seeing an egg depositor but hasn't built a nest or dropped eggs to be sure.

6/28 Mod edit to fix picture

Last edited by a moderator:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Water change morning along with moving of fish. Silver Dollar's out of the grow out and into the 300. Now I can swap out the gravel on the 90g tank and get it ready for moving over the goldies. I will need to put the EBJD and Chubby pleco somewhere... either in the near empty 46g bowfront or just put them in the other 90g with the sevs. Will figure that out later. But happy to see the school of SD's in the big tank.
IMG_20240629_111300854.jpg

BPSabelhaus

I might be starting to gain Woodstocks trust enough for that. He will take them when I let go, but sits right there waiting :)
Moved some fish around. Goldfish fry into the 30 long with about 4 inches of water with daphnia. Added a gallon of green water too. Moved Rose the male Betta into that tank with his decor from his old tank. He can pick off any remaining fry.
Moved some cull Endlers outside. Hopefully the weather is stable enough and I can move the cobras and black bars out over the weekend or early next week.

Sticklebacks are looking great. Want to do a water change to get some tannins out and get some better pics. So much better looking, showing patterns and staking territory. Need to research a bit more, but likely I'll take some of the lighter green / tannin water from the culture tubs and pond to refill what I take out by hand. Really want to breed them at some point.
I did it! lol Little longer piece of food and he took it :) Haven't gotten any of the goldfish to do it and I've had them for years.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Tiring morning of pulling substrate out on my 90g and swapping it to a darker type.
IMG_20240630_104244620_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240630_125402060.jpg
All done, just needs to clear up and then move some goldies over

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
With yesterdays tank decor swap out I moved the EBJD and chubby pleco into the near empty 46g bowfront. Kept the solo rainbow in there and took the betta out and temporarily put him into the cup he was sold in until I find a larger bowl to put him in.

MegaraSai

Made the mistake of skipping a water change last weekend, then decided to add Co-op capsules tonight after dinner. This did NOT go well. I was just adding two under the rooted water sprites, but they were PIAs which meant the gravel got too disturbed which caused an ammonia spike, one capsule split in half and floated off and in retrieving it the lotus's brand new leaf got ripped off, and Crawley happened to be out and had massively dramatic seizures. :eek:

Did a water change of course, dumped extra Prime and QuickStart in (I've found this combo to be the quickest way to get ammonia under control without a nitrite spike), swapped out the PhosGuard packet. Crawley has regained color and bodily control but I can't help but feel years get shaved off her life whenever this happens.:confused:

--MS

BPSabelhaus

Moving more fish, goldfish fry are starting to look like fish :)
Former trampoline, future greenhouse that will have 2 tubs in it for cultures. Reusing most of it, including the bounce pad as a shade. Really just need some clear film. Probably add a few angle reinforcements and a pole in the middle to grow plants up and keep the roof from sagging.
1000013931.jpg

Glad you caught that quick

MegaraSai

Peeled so much more rotting thread off my floating java ferns! A POX on whoever had the idea to cocoon dozens of java fern rhizomes into a 'single' potted plant with black thread! A POX I say! I cut the fake big rhizomes apart a year ago after watching a video whose title I forget and '3 and a pathetic one leafed rhizome' turned into 15 (now at least 17 as one stressed little fern had two babies), but it still wasn't enough! There was still soooo much more damn thread that looked like normal growing black roots - but that was because the thread was unspooling as the older parts of the rhizomes died! I basically ended up pinching off 90 percent of whatever was dangling, including roots, and rubbing off any rot before returning them to the tank.

Argh. I'll uproot the rooted ones and go through them, too, at a slightly later date. One water fire at a time. ;)

They turned out to be harboring hydra or something like it that harmed Sai yesterday. I know they're supposed to not harm bettas, but multiple simultaneous stings is all I can figure out that caused him to go completely limp after folding around one infested thread to bite something near his tail. It was pretty horrifying to see him draped in half over another dangling root not even breathing, but he did wake when I gently tapped on the glass and got himself out of there with seemingly just a little positive swim bladder trouble since like it was paralyzed or something. I fasted the tank today like usual and will do so until Sunday, tho I did give Sai a pellet to see if he was able to eat (he was) and provide a little ballast. From what I understand Parona and the Minions should eat the hydra if they're a bit starved...and they're probably what the Minions have been subsisting on along with seed shrimp when they ignore ground up flakes. Ordered Northfin fry food for them to try, tho, and got pretty much a very similar price with shipping from KGTropicals than from Amazon with the added bonus that I wouldn't have to wait until the 19th.

I'm sorry if that doesn't make a lot of sense, I really needed to ramble and rant. Thanks for reading.

--MS

BPSabelhaus

Ugh, anything to make a quick buck :(

Got most of the French blue Endlers out of the 20 long. Gotta trim the java fern in there. Massive leaves are now decaying as they become baby plants. Should I use green or black thread? lol I'm going to put all the cuttings with runners in the 30 gal (maybe 10g in it) fry and daphnia tank to grow out.

PXL_20240706_203124595.jpg
Yeah, it's been ignored lol

Last edited:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Spent morning doing water changes and moved a couple of the colorful goldfish over to the 90 gallon. More will get moved over but I am looking for a couple more fish to fill out the tanks.
IMG_20240706_114152733.jpg

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Ugh, anything to make a quick buck :(

Got most of the French blue Endlers out of the 20 long. Gotta trim the java fern in there. Massive leaves are now decaying as they become baby plants. Should I use green or black thread? lol I'm going to put all the cuttings with runners in the 30 gal (maybe 10g in it) fry and daphnia tank to grow out.
On thread color, yes.