What did you do with your tank(s) today?

BPSabelhaus

This was cool. Checked on the goldfish eggs outdoors. Assumed they didn't hatch just yet and brought the jar indoors to warm up. I get into the house, wipe the condensation off the glass and looked in. Watched for a moment and I see a single egg with a tail sticking out of it start to float down, get it's bearings then swim into the moss with an egg helmet on lol

That was a treat. Now I'm staring at the jar waiting for it to happen again, occasionally poking the moss mat lol

Just watched two more :) Doubt I'll be able to get a video. So much daphnia in there.

Liar lol

Last edited:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Yesterday morning did an early morning water change before work on the goldies tank because it started to look a bit cloudy. Im thinking it was likely a bit of overfeeding, but then with lessened feeding last night, I still see this issue. With the food mix I have going on, I believe it is the YFS, grain free Wonder Worms. I think because of the lack of a good binding agent that it is making a mess. Total theory at this point. Fed a different food this morning but did another water change to see if it clears up. Might have also caused a bacterial bloom.

My new substrate for the 90 gallon tank shows that it should be arriving today. Not sure if I will move out the silver dollars this weekend or just swap out the substrate anyways. Starting up with outdoor projects so my fish time will get a bit reduced.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Got some fish stuff in, so the substrate is here for the 90g swap out. I also got a couple Loc-line items to put on the Fluval Flex. This was the cheapest improvement first before deciding on a pump with higher output.
IMG_20240612_162855310.jpg
While it did make a huge difference if surface agitation and movement of surface scum, It's obvious the pump should be stronger still. Also I will say the Loc-line stuff would have been much easier to deal with if I had their tool. Having to pop all those off by hand makes you think you are going to break something, lol.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Some updates:

We luckily found our cat at the end of last week in the blackberry bushes / forest across and down the street from our house. He was scared and didn’t want to cross the street. He was also about 3 pounds lighter than before. The whole family is relieved and he is now wearing a collar with an AirTag in it.

On a fish note, the hemichromis fasciatus arrived to the US healthy and in large numbers. The unfortunate piece was that I was supposed to receive 20 of them yesterday but there were shipping delays. When I got the box today, I only had 3 survivors ( I think because they fought in the 3 separate bags and when one was killed it fouled the water. In about a week I’m going to get about 10 more shipped to me, but I told the importer I wanted them bagged separately and fasted for 24 hours to make sure they make the journey to WA.

The three that survived are about 2” total length so I added them to my 75g planted tetra fish tank. And they are getting used to their new waters while I watch them carefully for any signs of distress.

Picture is of 2 of the 3 you can see that one of them has a bit of tail nipped off and appears to be female in head shape and the other one also appears to be female. The one with the elongated face ( typically male at this size) was on the other side of the tank schooling with the tetras. This would give me 1 male and 2 females until the others arrive.

IMG_7080.jpeg

BPSabelhaus

PXL_20240616_230445563.jpg1000013653.jpg

Picked up a few sticklebacks and a panfish in the marsh. Gonna let the panfish fatten up and go back to the lake. Sticklebacks I'll see how these two do then maybe go back in a few weeks better prepared. Maybe start a colony to stock the nature park with.
Aside from that, getting things setup for Betta spawn two.
PXL_20240617_011816138.jpgPXL_20240613_152918505.jpg
Kiddos Blaze

PXL_20240613_152818252.jpg
Piebald female from the first spawn. The goal is pink crown tails for down the line. This time I will be separating fry by body color and actually keep track of things.PXL_20240617_011824241.jpg
Both tanks loaded with live food

Last edited:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Added a Whisper air pump to my goldfish tank. Cant believe the 10 gallon model was only $5.13 on Amazon. The fish seem to appreciate the extra aeration and seem even more hyperactive.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Destroying razor blades and rubber gloves lolView attachment 14070View attachment 14071
Second blade after a few hours on and off scraping and applying cleaning vinegar.
What is on the glass that vinegar couldn’t remove with just a rag?

I once had a 125g I got used with pink coral remnants all over the acrylic …. I Soaked it two days with a gallon of vinegar and filled it up with warm water and it rubbed off super easy.

I’ve never had to use both a razor blade and vinegar so I am super interested in what that is and why / how it got so stuck on it…..

BPSabelhaus

Several layers of the same stuff over time lol I actually tried polishing compound and a small orbital buffer before I stepped up to new blades and cleaning vinegar. This was definitely the worst one I have brought back to life. At one point I had considered just using it as a daphnia tank just hidden away somewhere.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
The 3 hemichromis fasciatus that survived shipping are showing their true colors.

Got home from work today and I’m noticing some bite marks on my extra large red eyed tetras ( I have about 15) and also on my large beunos Aires tetras.

I may need to move them to my cichlid grow out tank soon as they are natural killers and need to be kept with aggressive fish that are larger than they are.

BPSabelhaus

Kiddos first day of summer. He stayed out late with his buddy. I'm enjoying cup of coffee two by the pond. Also, going to force Alex out of her cave today for outside time.

PXL_20240619_170004646.jpg
She's been active during the cruddy rainy days, then hiding in her cave on sunny days lol Last summer she decided to brumate in August off and on until February lol Goofy girl is still on Australian time even though she and her parents were born in Tacoma ;)

Last edited: