What did you do with your tank(s) today?

MegaraSai

Tried to sort of surgically remove diatom algae growing in my floating water sprite with tweezers, ended up just removing almost all the floaters and trimming the two rooted, which did need doing and I am sure will be needing doing again this time next week.:lol:lol

Fishies not happy about the removal of cover, but they'll live.

--MS

Last edited:

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Kiddos first day of summer. He stayed out late with his buddy. I'm enjoying cup of coffee two by the pond. Also, going to force Alex out of her cave today for outside time.

View attachment 14077
She's been active during the cruddy rainy days, then hiding in her cave on sunny days lol Last summer she decided to brumate in August off and on until February lol Goofy girl is still on Australian time even though she and her parents were born in Tacoma ;)

Did you get her at white hot dragons?

BPSabelhaus

Technically the reptile show in Tacoma, but from them.
IMG_1901.JPG

Baby pic from her first week with us :) I feel so bad for the babies at PetSmart etc... Far too small to be ready for most people.

Mr Wigglesworth, her predecessor we adopted when the wife took over managing the hospital he lived at. We had known him for years prior. He loved people and dogs. Always begging to come out. Especially if you had a banana. Hence the stubby tail from metabolic bone disease as potassium blocks absorption of calcium.
He was a chonker when we adopted him. Diet of what was available from corporate suppliers like Petco was his food. Nasty dried and rehydrated veggies that aren't even good for them and occasional live roaches instead of canned.
He was on a diet of fresh greens, fruits, varied live insects etc... He was well cared for at one point by the medical director who kept him there. After they left he became the hospital pet officially (paperwork and such) which means hospital staff was caring for him on the clock and were locked into corporate food options at pet stores they own.
Wife ended that massive hole of resource waste quick lol
IMG_1745.JPG

Gave the crowntail x piebald Betta spawn a go today. Blaze is very aggressive. Had to put her back in the other tank after he had her cornered and very stressed with a couple bite marks on her side.

I may offer him a larger female pink and black orchid instead.

Honestly, what I want is pink crowntails with purple irridescence. I can still get the pink and crown tail with the other and breed this with the pink orchid butterfly grizzle. Probably better genetically than pink orchid x pink orchid.

Just got news on the baby possum. It had multiple leg fractures and couldn't be rehabilitated. :(

Last edited:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Been trying hard to use up all my fish foods before buying new stock. Turns out my goldies will eat anything so Ive been able to use up sinking foods that were kind of in between sizes where they were too small for some of the growout and too big for some of the community fishes. Feels good to use this stuff up. Did buy some Northfin Jumbo sinking 6mm and floating Tropical sticks for the 300. I generally do a mix of foods in that tank so my fish have never turned up their nose to any foods. They are not finicky at all.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
They love duckweed too if you need to get rid of it. Mine will even snack on it if I toss it in when I'm not feeding them in the winter.
I had been reading that. Was an interesting video online where the person talked about these sensitive fancy goldfish with swim bladder issues could eat duckweed all day and not have any problems but with some pellet foods they do. His recommendation was to feed NLS Algaemax regularly based on the ingredients and likely no swim bladder issues in the goldies either.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Sad day… had to put the big endli down. Was old and sick and I couldn’t do anything but euthanize it. It was my oldest at best guess over 13 years old and largest fish at 20”. While acting fine, I feel my big bala will be next. Just another old fish. On that note with the big endli gone, I can move the silver dollars over without any worry of them getting eaten, maybe chased by the oscar but that should be it.

FishBeast

Sad day… had to put the big endli down. Was old and sick and I couldn’t do anything but euthanize it. It was my oldest at best guess over 13 years old and largest fish at 20”. While acting fine, I feel my big bala will be next. Just another old fish. On that note with the big endli gone, I can move the silver dollars over without any worry of them getting eaten, maybe chased by the oscar but that should be it.
Sorry to hear it! You had him for a long time. RIP

BPSabelhaus

Wife loves Jack Dempseys, kiddo loves the colors, I don't think they're not half bad lol

But no, maybe once Woodstock passes. He's become so inquisitive and friendly lately.
Anyway, the Bettas finally figured it out lol

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Im looking for options of a bottom fish for the 300 gallon. A fish of interest would be a L095 Orange Cheek Pinecone pleco but they are not cheap. I have thought about a catfish of some sort, maybe a featherfin? Something outgoing and not reclusive but not too big. I love giraffe nose cats but way too big for my tank. And of course there would be the option for another poly... loved the big endli but not sure where to source any good poly anymore. Hadn't heard of Toyin being around anymore, so maybe a wild caught type from Wetspot? If any of you guys have ideas, let me know.

BPSabelhaus

I love big catfish myself. Uncle kept wild caught bullheads in several giant tanks with bass in one and Oscars in the other. Loved watching them slither about and cuddle as a group.
He also almost got choked to death by one of his giant snakes lol Voracious creatures, but so cool.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
My second shipment of hemichromis fasciatus came today. 7 shipped and 7 survived.

4 are larger than the others so they are in my my Central American cichlid growouts.

The other 3 small ones went with my previous 3 small ones and I’m already having some aggression in that tank ( I even have 15 Buenos Aires tetras in with them as dithers).

I’m going to have to see if a few of my friends on here are willing to raise one up if not, I’m going to have to buy multiple tank dividers and right now they are too small for light diffusers as they could swim right through them.

I basically need a rack of 6 40breeders at this point for the small ones. But I think I am going to add a couple of my hybrid growouts to the tank so that there is a tank boss and they school together rather than fight each other!

Fast forward to the future: it’s my hope to get them to breed ( with a divider). I already have two shops wanting fry but that’s easily about a year away.

I’ll get some pics of the larger ones soon ( they are about 2.5” total length ) and living with 3” festae, a 5” Honduran red point, and two 3.5” white / pink convicts.

BPSabelhaus

Reading how to use and maintain the vinegar eel culture I got yesterday and trying to figure out why this Betta spawn is moving so fast now lol. Yeesh, already free swimming a day or so early. Small spawn too, but I don't want to deal with 100 plus again. Only about 2 dozen which should be enough for my purposes of studying genetics and verifying what I know and have been told by Betta people isn't the case.

It's just light reflection. It works the same lol Hoping to verify with a couple generations. OTOH geneticists agree with my findings in research they already did lol This is what happens when all guppies are galaxy dumbo useless fish and nobody knows where those genes come from and how they actually interact. Too many mutts with genes from mixed collection points and long selective breeding without documentation.

My best bet for introducing spade tails is a wild type Betta carrying it as dominant, not a veil tail and hoping it displays as a dominant allele when crossed with a halfmoon. Even then you still get a droopy tail due to the veiltail still expressing. I don't do big fins, which I have been told repeatedly has nothing to do with the pink.

I'm gonna do both, because I can.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Big food stock up orders with Northfin ordered and received. Also have some more Dainichi coming in. Been a long time since Ive had this much food on hand or coming at one time. Was being very efficient with all my foods getting eaten up before ordering any more. Sometimes you end up getting stuck with a certain size or type because your fish may outgrow it or it is a sinking and you need a floating, etc. Well Ive pretty much made very good use of all my food this round and have very little odd stuff sitting around. Most of those odd sized are actually perfect for the goldies.

Still on the hunt or researching a new tank occupant for the 300... maybe I wont need to do anything if I move the silver dollars over.

BPSabelhaus

1000013848.jpg
New stick for Alex, plus some wood for bonsai projects.

Inspiration for bonsai too.
PXL_20240626_222827580.jpgPXL_20240626_221827700.MP.jpg

Nice time at dash point. Glad I got out today despite the last week.

FishBeast

Im looking for options of a bottom fish for the 300 gallon. A fish of interest would be a L095 Orange Cheek Pinecone pleco but they are not cheap. I have thought about a catfish of some sort, maybe a featherfin? Something outgoing and not reclusive but not too big. I love giraffe nose cats but way too big for my tank. And of course there would be the option for another poly... loved the big endli but not sure where to source any good poly anymore. Hadn't heard of Toyin being around anymore, so maybe a wild caught type from Wetspot? If any of you guys have ideas, let me know
I have been thinking about Croc and his passing.
You were one of the people who really helped me with my polys starting out.
I have a proposal for you.
I want to change up my stock in the 210 to oscars and would love to (if you would have them), give you my wild-caught PBB, Weeksii and Koloton Lap and possibly (if you would like him) my beloved and beautiful 16-17" Indo Tiger. My other polys have died from jumping out while they were in the garage 150 tub... I am keeping the cute lil albino.
They would do perfect as big, peaceful fish in your 300!
What do you think?

FishBeast

My second shipment of hemichromis fasciatus came today. 7 shipped and 7 survived.

4 are larger than the others so they are in my my Central American cichlid growouts.

The other 3 small ones went with my previous 3 small ones and I’m already having some aggression in that tank ( I even have 15 Buenos Aires tetras in with them as dithers).

I’m going to have to see if a few of my friends on here are willing to raise one up if not, I’m going to have to buy multiple tank dividers and right now they are too small for light diffusers as they could swim right through them.

I basically need a rack of 6 40breeders at this point for the small ones. But I think I am going to add a couple of my hybrid growouts to the tank so that there is a tank boss and they school together rather than fight each other!

Fast forward to the future: it’s my hope to get them to breed ( with a divider). I already have two shops wanting fry but that’s easily about a year away.

I’ll get some pics of the larger ones soon ( they are about 2.5” total length ) and living with 3” festae, a 5” Honduran red point, and two 3.5” white / pink convicts.
Hey man, I'll take one of your small ones. Have an empty and cycled 75G for it... let me know what I need to do.