What did you do with your tank(s) today?

BPSabelhaus

1000013347.jpg

So, instead of going to work with the wife.... She arrived with an empty carrier because it decided to sleep in the kiddos freshly washed jacket in the laundry bin lol

Good thing we have way too many critter carriers lol This one is more secure and I covered the door with a piece of sign board and put it against the wall.

Last edited:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Got shipping confirmation from two vendors that my goldfish have shipped out today. New arrivals to come on Thursday. Choosing to redo some stock has perked up the fishroom and feels like the tanks have inhabitants.

The 65B Red wolf and 32.5 Fluval Flex can both look empty at times, with the fish sitting like logs most of the times. The 46g bowfront really is a ghost town with a single Madagascar rainbow and betta, lol. Not sure what I want to do here... was thinking of moving the puffer into the tank and rescape it for more interest. Or of course there is the option of more goldfish, lol.

I do want to keep my slow growing EBJD and at least one sev, all the Hoplo cats and the Australian rainbows. What do you guys think? Could a EBJD and Red Spot sev share a 90g?

Talked my brother into going with me this upcoming weekend up to a few Seattle area fish stores (The Fish Store and Little Amazon) that Ive never been to before. (Maybe something will follow me home)

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
It’s all of us thanks for closing my “downsizing” thread hahaha
Im glad your still in the hobby and have found a renewed interest in it. I had started a post about 'Downsizing' after I watched a video from Corey.

I think we tend to fuel each other to bigger and better ventures but that doesn't always mean its the best choice for us. Ive been looking at ways to make things more efficient. I dont want to grow larger in the hobby, Im at a perfect spot, but if it means swapping out a tank that is slightly larger but easier to maintain then I might do that. Or I might lose one tank altogether. That has been the big debate with my Fluval, upgrade to make it efficient, or replace it with a different tank or just cut down by one tank. Ah, the choices...

FishBeast

We all have our comfortable limit with how much time we are willing to spend on the hobby… you’re right, the social aspect does help a lot. Cory’s video is really on point… bigger/more isn’t always better (diminishing returns).

I’ve missed this forum for sure! One of the things that has helped me decrease my maintenance time is having as many of my tanks in systems with a sump that usually serves as both a display and a filter. I also have the sink in the garage plus I can discharge the tank water outside into the yard. I also use air driven filtration as much as possible.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
IMG_7029.pngIMG_7032.jpegJust got word that the wild caught hemichromis fasciatus may be in the states by the end of next week. I’m pumped to be helping bring these back to the hobby. Here is a pic with collection site info and one where they are catching them with their nets!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
@lloyd378, This is a very cool endeavor to bring in some new blood on a fish that is not seen that often in the hobby.

Look forward to your updates.

Had me thinking we talked about this in the past... https://www.wafishbox.com/forums/threads/5-star-general.15448/#post-142974

At that point Will had been out of the hobby but I notice his name on your posts. Is he still in Portland area? Still out of fishkeeping?

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Second fish came in very distressed. Hard time keeping itself upright and when it came in I thought it was dead, then saw it twitch. Got it in the tank and its having problems staying upright. Sent email and decided to call. I spoke to a very nice person who basically said its common with this breed. I do believe this because I saw someone else on YouTube having the exact same issue with his new 'Godzilla' oranda.

Hopefully pulls through, its a beast!
IMG_20240606_163909129.jpg

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
If not all accounted for, I’d love to take one or a pair (if sexable), have empty, cycled 75 for it/them. The seller also has them up on MFK, hope there’s enough for everybody!
Sounds good, I’ll let you know and be in touch

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry for bad pic but a couple hours later it seems like it will be okay. Added an air pump to increase aeration and put some salt in per acclimation instructions and seems better.
IMG_20240606_220225731.jpg