My fancy goldfish tank(s)

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
The pictures in this thread do not do justice to how beautiful these goldfish truly are. We are so used to lfs grade that to see almost show quality is amazing!
Thank you, I am so happy I opened up my interest to fish other than cichlids and bichirs, lol. As with anything now in our hobby it seems you either have to get it from another hobbyist or order it yourself to get higher end or unusual fishes. Im thankful to have found some great online vendors.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
My gold coin ranchu female is acting king of strange. She is not hanging out with the other fish much and is swimming a bit funny. Kind of leaning towards one side a bit and not super active like the others. Eats a little but just strange behavior... At this point Im wondering if she is egg bound. She seems kind of on the thick side right now. Not sure if i should try and massage her or try an Epsom salt bath?

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Did a half hour Epsom salt bath and a light massage to the fish. No eggs released and the fish went back in the tank and no real difference yet. Will watch it tonight and try another Epsom bath tomorrow.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
The female gold coin ranchu did end up with some sort of swim bladder infection and by the time I figured it out and started treating with antibiotics, it was already too late. The humane thing was to end the suffering and euthanize her.

This leaves the 65B looking a bit "off", with just three fish and really no real attractiveness about the tank. I absolutely love the look of the 90 gallon tank with the bright fish on the black. This is my favorite tank set up now. I just cant seem to find a tank layout in 65B that Im happy with. I think the light substrate bleaches out the two black goldies but then full on black and they would disappear, lol.

So now Im thinking of how to change some decor and stock in the 65B tank.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
The female gold coin ranchu did end up with some sort of swim bladder infection and by the time I figured it out and started treating with antibiotics, it was already too late. The humane thing was to end the suffering and euthanize her.

This leaves the 65B looking a bit "off", with just three fish and really no real attractiveness about the tank. I absolutely love the look of the 90 gallon tank with the bright fish on the black. This is my favorite tank set up now. I just cant seem to find a tank layout in 65B that Im happy with. I think the light substrate bleaches out the two black goldies but then full on black and they would disappear, lol.

So now Im thinking of how to change some decor and stock in the 65B tank.
Growing up I had black substrate with black mollies and it worked well. I just used a background that was blue water with plants and the fish “popped”.

Maybe try a black and white gravel or grey gravel for them?

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I just ordered a 40lb bag of the Midnight River black gravel i used on the 90g. Im not sure if I will do the 65B up in it or maybe add a little to the 90g (needs like 5lbs) and then redo the 46g bowfront tank. This gravel is pretty new to the market and very difficult to find. The place I got it from has run out of stock on a couple smaller sizes and i see it showing as backordered at other places. This stuff is just so cool looking that I would be tempted to switch out other tanks too if it wouldn't cost so much!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Thinking of adding two fish to the 65B

A milk cow calico ranchu
MC1.jpg
And a dragon eye pearlscale
DEP02.jpg
Just debating the cost, ugh

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Pulled the trigger and ordered them. These are coming from kingkoigoldfish.com which is where I ordered my two Lionchu from and was happy with the fish quality. I believe this company is out of California so hopefully a bit less travel related stress (I did ask for cold packs due to weather). These guys have an interesting sales 'gimmick'. $59 Flat Rate Shipping on all fish orders over $100. Well many of their fish qualify for free shipping IF you purchase the ones marked as 'Free2Day Shipping'. So get one $100 fish and buy a second qualifying fish for as little as $29 and the shipping is free. Of course my picks were a bit more in cost, lol. So in the end most people will likely end up getting two fish.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Very unexpected odd death last night... the panda oranda was dead and stuck on the Aquaclear intake tube this morning. It was a little agitated when I had treated the tank with antibiotics for the sick ranchu but as soon as I realized the issue I did water changes to remove the drugs and added charcoal. The fish had been eating fine as of yesterday and showed no distress. My wife did remind me of how inbred these things are... Still a mystery to me as to why it happened. I guess things were just going too well and I needed a setback, lol.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Well the 90 gallon tank has been awesome with a nice group of goldfish that are super outgoing and seemingly healthy. The 65b not so much. My belief is that a new fish brought in something infectious and now Ive lost yet another fish, my pom pom. I got cocky and did a rookie mistake and didn’t quarantine before introducing new fish. Now I have one ranchu in the 65 that I am not sure is carrying something… but I do know I am going to hard core disinfect the tank before I add anything to it.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
This morning was busy pulling out all the old light substrate to prep for the conversion to the dark. Since Im going to use this as a quarantine for a new fish, I will wait to add the new dark substrate and just do a bare tank for now.
IMG_1768.jpeg
Tomorrow I will pull the Aquaclear 110 and bleach it out. Then new sponge and filter media. I will drain the tank completely and disinfect it. The surviving ranchu will be in a tote for a while since Im not sure if he is carrying anything from expose to the other 3 fish that died.

Also wanted another Yaun Bao so I ordered a new panda.
IMG_1764.jpeg
Since it will be on a dark substrate, I went with a majority of white instad of black like the other fish that passed. Im also still waiting on my other fish to come in. Hopefully the ranchu has no issue with the inflamed lateral line and they ship out this next week too.

Will definitely separate and quarantine these fishes to avoid any problems. One of the vendors I had been emailing had mentioned on their side its at least 2 weeks before they would even mix fish from different farms.

That is the goldfish updates for now.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Picked up two Rubbermaid 18 gallon totes from Fred Meyer for $9.99 each, normally $16.99. I figure I can put these on the floor of the fish room. Also got two medium (up to 20 gallon) sponge filters from Eurofish and I they were exactly the same price as Co-Op, I thought he might charge more but he doesn’t. This will allow me to be able to set up two quarantine "tanks". Basically like having two 10 gallon tanks available.
IMG_20240818_101618450.jpg

The one vendor said the ranchu with inflamed lateral line was looking good and they will send it out next week

Last edited:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Got the tank drained, all the parts disinfected with bleach including the Aquaclear filter. All new filter media too. Refill time.
IMG_20240818_123745190.jpg

Quarantine totes all ready, really like the Aquarium Co-Op sponge filters.
IMG_20240818_125709792.jpg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Both my orders show as shipped today (Monday) so I should get one tomorrow and the other on Wednesday. The one company had the next day air for barely anymore than 2nd day while the other company offered 2 day for free with the purchase of two fish.

As I watch my totes i realize that they really are not doing too well for water with some bulging happening. As long as they make it the two weeks Im happy. Im not running any heat in them so they should be fine, plus I can lower the water level a couple inches without a problem.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Both my orders show as shipped today (Monday) so I should get one tomorrow and the other on Wednesday. The one company had the next day air for barely anymore than 2nd day while the other company offered 2 day for free with the purchase of two fish.

As I watch my totes i realize that they really are not doing too well for water with some bulging happening. As long as they make it the two weeks Im happy. Im not running any heat in them so they should be fine, plus I can lower the water level a couple inches without a problem.
I have a couple of plexi 10-gallon tanks with lids that you can have if you need them.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I have a couple of plexi 10-gallon tanks with lids that you can have if you need them.
Thanks for the offer. I will see how the totes go. Should be fine for two weeks, but if not I may take you up on the offer.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
New Panda Yuan Bao (oranda) in the house! It settled in very quickly, likely due to next day air instead of two day. I have no substrate in the tank since it is being treated as a quarantine tank. I snapped an in tank pic but it was just a blur cause he was so actively exploring his new surroundings. Will try for some better pics later...

Last edited: