My fancy goldfish tank(s)

BPSabelhaus

Was grabbing some fish food the other day and did the usual look around with the wife and kiddo. Wife gets to looking at the goldfish oohing and ahhing over similar goldfish. "Could we put a couple of these in the other pond?"

No lol
Besides, our butterfly koi and fantail spawned and we potentially have something similar somewhere coming in the future anyway lol

BPSabelhaus

I have been wanting to do a tiled Islamic style project for awhile. Heated for livebearers. But a single big silly thing could work too. I want it out front, but not sure with kids, roaming cats etc....

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Absolutely loved my experience with chuchugoldfish so I got my final fish. Again all fish will start in my 65B and will soon go into my 90.

This is a ‘Golden Yuanbao male’, essentially a short body round ball with short fins. A bit confusing since a lot of terms like ‘Shogun’ or ‘Godzilla’ gets applied but from my research it seems they all have similar characteristics.

A bit more on Yuanbao also called ‘Ingot’. Info from: https://mygoldfishisalive.com/about-ingot-goldfish

“Ingot goldfish was created in China by breeding a Ryukin with a Ranchu. The offspring of that is a breed with a large short rounded body, a box-shaped face with wen (head growth) and short fins.”

IMG_1738.jpegIMG_1737.jpeg

Fish came in 6/6 having issues. Vendor said it was common with this breed. Hopefully will recover
IMG_20240606_163909129.jpg

edit: He did recover!

Last edited:

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Absolutely loved my experience with chuchugoldfish so I got my final fish. Again all fish will start in my 65B and will soon go into my 90.

This is a ‘Golden Yuanbao male’, essentially a short body round ball with short fins. A bit confusing since a lot of terms like ‘Shogun’ or ‘Godzilla’ gets applied but from my research it seems they all have similar characteristics.

A bit more on Yuanbao also called ‘Ingot’. Info from: https://mygoldfishisalive.com/about-ingot-goldfish

“Ingot goldfish was created in China by breeding a Ryukin with a Ranchu. The offspring of that is a breed with a large short rounded body, a box-shaped face with wen (head growth) and short fins.”

View attachment 13885View attachment 13886
You’ll need to look up the Chinese name for “meatball”, as to me, it looks like a subway meatball in a vodka sauce. Just messing with you, but honestly think it is one of the most unique fish I’ve ever seen!

With all of these goldfish, I’m surprised you didn’t order a black moor type ( the hammerhead eye ball type).

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
You’ll need to look up the Chinese name for “meatball”, as to me, it looks like a subway meatball in a vodka sauce. Just messing with you, but honestly think it is one of the most unique fish I’ve ever seen!

With all of these goldfish, I’m surprised you didn’t order a black moor type ( the hammerhead eye ball type).
There are so many variations to choose from! Right now it will be the 90 gallon dedicated to goldfish when I move out the silver dollars. The EBJD is so slow growing I will likely move it to the empty 65B or in with the sevs.

There is a very high probability I may end up with more than one goldfish tank…

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Yay, fish are shown as shipped today and should be here on Thursday. This will finish my goldfish stocking for a while. I am still waiting on Universal Rocks and gravel to be able to do the permanent goldfish home in the 90 gallon, but its coming along. Kind of fills out the garage tanks and the emptiness that a couple of the tanks were starting to get.

BPSabelhaus

Great use of otherwise wasted space lol
They are quite pretty. I have been coming around on some traits when they're well expressed. Still not sure if I'll ever come around on ET though lol

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I liked the goldfish with 'Wen' or head growth like Lionhead, Ranchu and Orandas. Probably because Ive kept cichlids that developed big nuchal humps. But certain characteristics that I dont like, I do not get the fish in those categories. For me this is mostly the fish with telescope eyes and features that are suposed to be bred out. An example are the Ranchu that have no dorsal fin. This characteristic was the desired look. So when they sell these 'Shark ranchu' that are showing a little piece of dorsal fin, I just cant do it. They usually are quite deformed and you can tell they were to be culled.

Of the fish I have or is coming, the most 'extreme' looking to me is the Yaunbo which is short bodied and short finned but no buggy eyes so all is good, lol.

Last edited:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Universal Rock centerpiece came in. Love it!
IMG_1742.jpegIMG_1743.jpeg
The new gravel looks really good too. It looks pretty dark without being wet. This is their natural line so no colors, all real and natural.
IMG_1744.jpeg
The hope is that its not too dark for the goldfish tank. I know the fish will absolutely “pop” on the dark but may look unnatural. Will have to wet the gravel down and see.

BPSabelhaus

At least your large rock hide was actually large lol I ordered a large bearded dragon hide when Alex was still small. Planning ahead because I knew how large they get. Her large hide arrives and it was already too small lol Bummer because it was a discontinued one that I liked, but the vendor had one that was a return. Plus side I got a great Betta cave for free lol

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
At least your large rock hide was actually large lol I ordered a large bearded dragon hide when Alex was still small. Planning ahead because I knew how large they get. Her large hide arrives and it was already too small lol Bummer because it was a discontinued one that I liked, but the vendor had one that was a return. Plus side I got a great Betta cave for free lol
Universal Rocks also makes stuff for reptiles. It is not cheap stuff but Ive have my pieces for many years now and it still looks good. The problem with most pet store decor is that it is just too small of scale for some of the larger tanks that I keep. The Universal Rock pieces can get quite sizable, in fact the very first piece I ordered was huge and took up a lot of space in the tank. I ended up replacing it with a smaller piece that still has quite the presence. I really want to try one of their fake stumps but I think I would need an even bigger tank! lol

BPSabelhaus

I'll have to check them out. I can't imagine what some of her driftwood would have cost in a store lol I don't mind carrying a 25-30 lb chunk of Jadeite out of the river for a beautiful basking spot. But I hate moving and cleaning that stuff when she poops on it lol Light but big to climb on is positives for me. She can still have a reasonable basking stone. Already pulled the Jadeite out and put it in the garden. She loves climbing, I'm constantly moving, removing and adding to her collection. Something like that even works as a hide.
PXL_20240606_174443271.jpg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Just ordered an additional 45lbs of the Caribsea Midnight river small gravel to do the swap out in the 90 gallon to the near black substrate. This will really make the goldies 'pop' when they get moved over to the bigger tank.

Last edited:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Let’s see them all together
Will work on that as soon as I can. I had difficulties with the Yuanbo. Came in quite distressed and I thought it was dead until it twitched. Got it into tank and it was having trouble staying upright.
IMG_20240606_163909129.jpg I called the vendor and they said its kind of normal with the breed. I had seen a very similar situation on YouTube so I was kind of expecting it. I added aeration a little salt and a couple hours later seems okay. Sorry bad pic but upright and swimming. He is an absolute tank of a fish.
IMG_20240606_220225731.jpg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Okay morning shots

Full group: The tricolor oranda is a blur of activity. You can see my Apache ranchu is losing the black back and is turning into a very bland light peach/orange. Yaunbo is upright!
IMG_20240607_065909846.jpg

He is a BIG FELLA... and now my favorite on the 'cuteness' scale. Move aside Ranchu your all getting replaced! lol, no not really
IMG_20240607_065835547 (1).jpg

Love this tricolor oranda, super outgoing and hyper so hard to get a clear shot of him
IMG_20240607_070028415.jpg

The sheer size of the Yaunbo make me laugh. He is absolutely HUGE!
IMG_20240607_065927304.jpg

IMG_20240607_070006393.jpg

IMG_20240607_070011353.jpg

Last edited:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Mentioned before how the Apache ranchu can change color at early ages. Here he goes losing the black color

Before
Screenshot 2024-04-30 114040.jpg
After
IMG_20240607_191738229.jpg
As time progresses it is turning mostly orange