My fancy goldfish tank(s)

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Been interesting to see these fish in a group as opposed to just 2 at the beginning, then 3. Once the tank had 4 it was pretty outgoing. Now with the 6 fish it is just a huge bundle of activity and the fish are much happier with a larger number. Cant really say they "school" but the larger group is much better for their comfort level and outgoingness.

The goldfish tank has kind of got me perked up about fishkeeping again. It put some fun into the hobby again.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
What started out in my 65B is moving into a 90 gallon and or will be two tanks,lol.

Today was a big change out on the 90g. Likely light and bright goldfish in the dark tank and dark goldies in the 65B light tank.

IMG_20240630_104244620_HDR.jpg
new substrate dry
IMG_20240630_110902112.jpg
Wet, has black look
IMG_20240630_111003041.jpg
Inside the tank
IMG_20240630_125418641.jpg
With the universal rocks decor
IMG_20240630_125402060.jpg
All done, needs to clear up a bit and then move some fish over
IMG_20240630_125320074_HDR.jpg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I used the package of clarifier included in the new gravel and the tank cleared up after a couple of hours.
IMG_20240630_195300160.jpg
The lighter, brighter goldies will look good on the dark gravel
IMG_20240630_195219611.jpg
I want to add another air pump and stone to the dark tank too

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Wanted to update thoughts on the Universal Rocks piece used in the 90 gallon. I absolutely love this piece! The black slate look is cool in itself but it is also quite skinny, but tall, so it has a very large presence in the tank without really taking up a lot of room. Ive used Universal Rocks pieces for years now and will say the prices are well worth it for what you get in longevity. Granted its just freshwater, results may vary with hard water, African cichlid set ups or saltwater. Now Im looking at possibly redoing anther tank with some more Universal Rocks products....

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Moved a couple of the goldies into the 90. The Oranda tend to swim towards the top a lot and the Ranchu stay more towards the bottom. Looking to move at least one Ranchu over when I get one more fish for the 65B.
IMG_20240706_114152733.jpg

Looking for at least one black or near black type of goldie for the 65B. Maybe a panda or a black with red head. Possibly a 'Milk cow' ranchu still. This should round out my stock between the two tanks with 8 fish total. Might rehome the 'Apache' since the color change was so extreme that it has lost 95% of the black it once had.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Purchased a Pom Pom Black Yuan Bao to put into the lighter color tank. Purchased online so waiting on it to arrive.
IMG_1752.jpegIMG_1751.jpegIMG_1750.jpeg

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Not to get off-topic here, but the Pom Pom Black Yuan Bao reminded me of several populations of Tropheus sp. 'red' from the southwestern shore of Tanganyika, which are predominantly black fishes with red highlights, very handsome IMO. Here is one that I keep, Lunangwa South, whose collection point is (unfortunately) in the DRC-

Lunangwa_South_18.png

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Besides the black one, what else is in the 65?
Right now all 3 ranchu/lionchu. The two red/white I am thinking would 'pop' more in the dark 90g tank and will likely move them once I get some more fish to be able to put into the 65B.

Decided to put up my 'Apache' ranchu for sale. Was a bit uneducated at the beginning and didnt know how unstable black could be in the fish. It is a nice light gold with a peach undertone but I was looking for a bit more unique features in my goldies.

Not really sure what I want to get for the 65B but nothing really too light or too much white. Maybe something in a Calico, Kirin in color or maybe something unique patterned like a milk cow or 'gold coin'.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Got one of the finalist for the 65B on order today. A gold coin Sukura Ranchu female 5" from KiajuGoldfish online. This is to replace the 'Apache'
gold coin 1.jpg
gold coin 2.jpg
gold coin 3.jpg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Another finalist for the light colored gravel tank purchased today, panda oranda
IMG_1756.jpeg
IMG_1754.jpegIMG_1755.jpeg
Great white face with mustache and white pom poms

Fish came in looking good
IMG_20240718_165117711.jpg

Last edited:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Morning goldie pics from the 65B.

New Panda oranda checking things out this morning. Both of the ranchu seen here will be going into the 90g dark substrate tank.
IMG_20240719_065705293.jpg
IMG_20240719_065415370.jpg

New 'Gold coin' Sukura ranchu. Really hard to get a picture of the scales that look like coins.
IMG_20240719_065621329.jpg
IMG_20240719_065608873.jpg

This guy has to be my second favorite of my goldies. I like the golden Yuan Bao the most and this one is a very close second. They seem more outgoing and are just so cute, lol.
IMG_20240719_065424623.jpg

Last edited:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Been unhappy with the Hakari goldfish foods being so tiny. Both foods I have used are really only appropriated for small fish or a bare bottom tank. It will get down into even the small gravel I use and seems to not all get eaten. Im using it on the smaller goldies in my 65B but the bigger ones in the 90g are getting a mix of NLS goldfish, AlgaeMax (on order) and Kenta gas release formula. I feel as if this should make for a healthy diet for the goldies.

Been super happy with the conversion to goldies in the two tanks and now the garage tanks feel very lively and colorful. I want to rescape the 65B still and add a nice Calico or Milk Cow Ranchu and call it done for new fish.

BPSabelhaus

I missed a lot of this thread. For some reason I think I had it confused with the other thread lol Might have to go back a page ;)
Yeah, having them together as a larger group is fun. Especially when spawning time comes and they start the chase. Should be a lot of fun watching them try lol
Love that last pic in #75

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I missed a lot of this thread. For some reason I think I had it confused with the other thread lol Might have to go back a page ;)
Yeah, having them together as a larger group is fun. Especially when spawning time comes and they start the chase. Should be a lot of fun watching them try lol
Love that last pic in #75
Yeah, a bit confusing since I had put up a bunch of the same pics under the topic of goldfish vendors. That one should be done with soon since Im at my stocking limit on goldies with the two tanks. Still waiting for a high end milk cow ranchu... this one will like end up being very expensive so Im waiting till I see one worth the high dollar price. Of the hundreds Ive seen pics of, only about a dozen or so are ones I would have picked. May be quite a while before I find the one Im looking for.