My fancy goldfish tank(s)

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Was a little upset thinking about my time and efforts going into healing the new fish. This was especially an irritant to me because the vendor saw the issue and suggested not to ship the fish out so that they could monitor it. When I emailed them they said they had done salt as treatment and only after a week it was apparently well enough to ship... I sent the vendor another email about this issue and expressed the fact that the fish should have been kept longer or not shipped out at all. Will see what they say, if anything. I respect the company for keeping the fish a week, but really dont like the fact that it wasnt fully well and they went ahead and shipped it anyway.

Today will be my third dose of Metroplex (done every other day), with the treatment being approved for up to three weeks, so some time still for the full treatment process. Continuing to add Seachem Stress Guard daily as instructed and redosing salt when Im doing the water changes. Might be imagining it but seems redness is down a little. The fish eats like a champ and seems to show no issues despite the inflamed lateral line.

Also of interest at this moment in the 65B I notice the 3 fish kind of have a different relationship than the 5 in the 90g. Of the 3 the Pearlscale seems like a bully and I have noticed pushing of the ranchu during feeding and I think it was going at the much larger Yuan Bao. Hopefully adding the milk cow ranchu to this tank will change the vibe. The 90g is just such a fun tank with how all the fish get along, was hoping for the same in the other tank too.

Last edited:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Ordered a Beamswork LED for the 20 QT tank. Did a 20-24” fixture for the 24” tank.

The Ranchu seems to be responding to the treatment. Looks like inflammation is down a bit and fish is healing up. I am half way into the second week of treatment with one more week of Metro to go so its nice to see progress at this point. I can extend salt treatment if necessary, and the Stress guard but really encouraged by the progress Im seeing.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
After 13 days of hearing nothing about my replacement Universal Rocks piece, I emailed them yesterday, and wouldnt you know it, it ships out today. Isnt that a coincidence? Kind of frustrated with the company about this. If it needed to be made first then at least give that as an update.

So likely about a week from now, I might see the piece come on and I can finish off the 65B decor.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Added a new Beamswork LED fixture to the hospital tank. Nice to see the fish now, lol. The lateral line inflammation looks well with all the redness gone
IMG_20240921_144516844.jpgIMG_20240921_144523479.jpgI will finish up the meds through this upcoming week and if it still looks good by next weekend, I may potentially decide to move the fish over to its permanent home.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Which Beamswork are you using? I'm looking for a new fixture for my 120 in the living room.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Which Beamswork are you using? I'm looking for a new fixture for my 120 in the living room.

Its a Vivio full spectrum fixture. Its kind of cool with the basic controller having 5 levels of brightness, 3 output patterns, and a basic timer function of 4, 8 or 12 hr.

sir_keith

Legendary Member

Its a Vivio full spectrum fixture. Its kind of cool with the basic controller having 5 levels of brightness, 3 output patterns, and a basic timer function of 4, 8 or 12 hr.
I'll have to look into that one. I like the full-spectrum aspect, but most of these lights are too bright for my tastes (my living room tank gets too much ambient light already), so I'd have to run this with the external Timer/Dimmer accessory module, which allows dimming down to 10% of maximum, and independent control of the daylight and actinic lights. I'm actually surprised that this one has a connection for the Timer/Dimmer module, since it comes with at least some of its features.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I'll have to look into that one. I like the full-spectrum aspect, but most of these lights are too bright for my tastes (my living room tank gets too much ambient light already), so I'd have to run this with the external Timer/Dimmer accessory module, which allows dimming down to 10% of maximum, and independent control of the daylight and actinic lights. I'm actually surprised that this one has a connection for the Timer/Dimmer module, since it comes with at least some of its features.
When I saw this fixture I knew I wanted to try it because of the dimmer control included. My other Beamsworks EA fixture have the dimmer set on 2 or 3 due to how bright they are. If I didn’t turn them down, my tanks would be covered in algae. Today I tried out the built in timer and will see if the 12hr setting works. I do like that these fixtures seem even smaller than the EA fixtures.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
@sir_keith, Not sure if the fixture is working correctly. The other day the timer feature seemed to be a bit 'off' and it did not shut off at time expected. Plus Im not sure, but it seems that when it restarted, the first day when I thought it was working, it did not seem to hold the dimmer setting. It seems like it popped on at full bright setting. This timer is removable but is in line with the power supply and no way to directly able to plug in without the timer. it has the power on one side and a small 4 pin on the other. Im going to watch this for the next few days but if it continues acting strangely, it will go back.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
@sir_keith, Not sure if the fixture is working correctly. The other day the timer feature seemed to be a bit 'off' and it did not shut off at time expected. Plus Im not sure, but it seems that when it restarted, the first day when I thought it was working, it did not seem to hold the dimmer setting. It seems like it popped on at full bright setting. This timer is removable but is in line with the power supply and no way to directly able to plug in without the timer. it has the power on one side and a small 4 pin on the other. Im going to watch this for the next few days but if it continues acting strangely, it will go back.
Good to know. IME some of the Beamswork fixtures are OK, others, not so much. They are inexpensive, and when they try to pack more features into these things, you do worry about the quality...

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Yep, color spectrum, features for the price really made this fixture an attractive purchase, but the simple timer just does not seem to cut it. It has an additional plug that looks like you can add a different timer but I didnt look for one to match this fixture since it seemed like it had the basic features I needed.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Yep, color spectrum, features for the price really made this fixture an attractive purchase, but the simple timer just does not seem to cut it. It has an additional plug that looks like you can add a different timer but I didnt look for one to match this fixture since it seemed like it had the basic features I needed.
I believe that plug accommodates their external Dimmer/Timer module, which makes some of the features of this fixture redundant. As we have both discovered, that external module works pretty well, except for the matter of keeping time.

40GallonsOfDoom

Do the settings reset when it loses power? Like each time it's turned off you have to reset to the preferred brightness?

Oh I just saw the controls. It's like one of mine. Makes you long for the old days of just a simple selector switch to pick what you want instead of push button controllers.

Last edited:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Do the settings reset when it loses power? Like each time it's turned off you have to reset to the preferred brightness?

Oh I just saw the controls. It's like one of mine. Makes you long for the old days of just a simple selector switch to pick what you want instead of push button controllers.
It seems like it resets to the full brightness each time but i will need to pay closer attention to it. Just odd that each time it just seemed super bright when it restarted...

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Well an actual goldfish update. I felt as if the ranchu with the inflamed lateral line was doing better and then yesterday out of nowhere I see one inflamed area that looks like a small pimple. This week was supposed to be the final week of Metro treatment. Doing some more reading up on Hex and usage of Metro, it seems as if the consensus was that in water treatment was not very effective and that food based medication is a better way to go. Also the use of salt not a real help whereas Epsom salt was much better choice. So more time in the hospital tank for this fish. Will make up a batch of medicated food and switch over to Epsom salt in the hospital tank.

Last edited:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I want to scream! I received my Universal Rock replacement today after a very long wait. I Look at it and the inside looks hollow enough that this one should sink but then as Im rinsing it I see a big defect in the product with a flap of the exterior not laying flat to the surface. If you lift it up it is smooth underneath. If you were to rip it off there would be a big smooth patch under there. I emailed them... Im not sure why this is such an issue. Ive ordered multiple times from them with zero issues and now two strike outs.

IMG_20240926_195650645_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240926_195710603.jpg
IMG_20240926_195718258_HDR.jpg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
They emailed and apologized for the issue and said these blemishes usually never make it through, they sent another (number three now, lol).

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Uber frustrated with my calico 'milk cow' ranchu. The side with the original inflammation looks really good, maybe a tiny spot towards the head but pretty much invisible. Then out of nowhere the other side has inflammation on the lateral side with a larger red spot by the head. The fish had been in Medicated water for almost three weeks, essentially I have one more dose of metroplex to do and that is the duration Im supposed to be treating.

Original side with inflamation
IMG_20240928_160103699(1).jpg

Now the other formerly healthy side
IMG_20240928_160050988.jpg

Im going to do the final Metroplex in water treatment and Epsom salt then I will switch to a medicated food and maybe Kanaplex along with Epsom salt in water.

Last edited: