Rack Em Up! Garage tank rack project

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Thanks @Betty, Im really not sure what Im going to do with all these tanks, lol. Have to give a shout out to the wife being so supportive of my project. Losing my big Pearsi (Porkchop) made me pursue another 'replacement' fish and really the one Petsmart red devil I have would make me happy enough but if I can pull off this amph. community it would be nice.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Found some pieces of aluminum bar stock that will work under the feet to level out the tanks. I hadnt thought of this as an issue with the slope in the garage floor for drainage. I hadnt measured but I think it was at least 3/16" of Aluminum I had to put in to level the tank. I put my bags of gravel on the rack to help me get it leveled out. The rack has a bit of a tendency to want to bow forward. I think this might be due to that fact the center rack is open in the front. I might just end up beaming it for stability. Once tank weight is is place it should be fine. So close yet so much to still do, lol.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
... Im really not sure what I'm going to do with all these tanks...

Famous last words...

...A challenge I hadn't thought of was the slope in the floor...

I hear you. When I bought my current home the two adjacent rooms that were destined to be my fish room and my TV room had wall-to-wall carpet. In a fish room? So I ripped out the carpet and installed slate tile flooring. Looks great and is very practical for a fish room, except for the fact that all of the tiles are slightly different, so having a perfectly smooth, level floor is not possible. There are 6 stands and 12 tanks in the fish room, and getting them all level meant putting hard plastic shims under nearly all of the 24 corners! Fun! :roll

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
The old Federal Pacific electrical box is being replaced today. Electrician started at 0800 and hopefully power will be restored by 230.
No signs of distress. Wooden serving spoons are great for stirring the tanks.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
4 years ago when we got the house we did a full remodel that involved building around the 300 gallon in the living room. This was a full gut to the studs, new electrical (including replacement of an old panel box), new plumbing, insulation, etc. Basically we have a new house. I hadnt planned on garage tanks at that point, just something that has worked out.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
The old Federal Pacific electrical box is being replaced today. Electrician started at 0800 and hopefully power will be restored by 230.
No signs of distress. Wooden serving spoons are great for stirring the tanks.
The electrical box was the first thing that was replaced in our home. I think we had that same old fire hazard Federal box. With the new electrical I got a dedicated circuit just for the 300g.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Been playing around with the center rack trying to figure out where I want the self. I am trying to optimize storage space for gravel vacs, hoses, and cleaning tools. I want a clean look but also have everything where it’s easier to get to. Need to update pics soon.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Still working on this... Looking for storage containers to keep gravel vac tubes and long handle stuff in. Think I may have found the answer. I am looking at the under bed type totes. This would work great under the 65B and get that stuff out of the way.
802FB05C-45E2-468F-A95B-9B372DD181DE.jpeg
tote.jpg
Problem is the one I got at Lowe's going to be tight. I might need to look at other stores to find one about 2" shorter. I have the tote in my car so I have to wait till Im home to test it

Edit: under bed tote under rack worked but was tight and rubbing on rack so wife suggested to remove the clip handles on the sides and now fits perfect. I have storage for all the long cleaning items!

My hope is to get the other 75g going this weekend. I need to do the cut out for the Aquaclear filter and heater on the plastic backstrip but otherwise the background is installed and ready to go. I have all the shims figured out for the rack but I need to have it held in place while water weight is added to the tank. It has a tendency to want to pull forward so I will need help from a buddy to get it in place.

Thanks to @sir_keith for the lighting recommendation. Have the Beamsworks EA fixtures for both 75's with timers and waiting for the one for the 30g to come in. This way all the top tanks will have macthing lighting color tones. The bottom 65B are Current USA Satellite Plus which I have no plans to change. Should not look too strange.

Edit: Light came in for the 30 gallon, was a little worried cause I bought it as a damaged box item to save a few dollars. Seems fine and works. I still need to figure out filtration on the 30. I have an Aquaclear 50 but would feel better running a 70 if Im moving the puffer over. I think I want to get a little larger heater for it too.

Last edited:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Cleaning up garage and double checking everything before getting the second 75 going. Realized I have to get a background for the 30 gallon now. Since it also has the window behind it, I need to put something else behind or else it will just wash everything out and have extra algae growth.

Hope is I can get a friend over to help get the 75g in place.

Its still a mess...
64DAEA34-7B54-4BED-BFA1-A62DB469808C.jpeg

Last edited:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Disaster! Off to Petco to return the tank. The rack is all ready and my friend helps me get the 75 up on it and it has a cracked lower frame! Of course the Olympia Petco is awesome and Im taking off to return it but no 75’s in stock. They do have a 90 however... will keep you guys in the loop

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Got the 90 and happy I did. So much better built. Thicker glass and better silicon. Didn’t look like one of the sloppy mass produced 75’s they sell. Im thinking there may be a solo cichlid getting it in the future.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Wow this project is just not meant to be. I open the 48" beamswork light today and tested and the wrong item is in the box. The light is all white and not the EA with the red + green LED's. So now to get a replacement light. My aquarium background I was using is out of stock in Lakewood Petsmart so need to hunt around for that too. So close....

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
So I posted the issues Ive had in the 'what did you do with your tanks' section. The 75 had a cracked frame and then Petco offered me a 90 at the half price sale and it too has a cracked frame, so the store is to contact me with a solution of some sort... Also the light for the tank was wrong. It was supposed to be a full spectrum and inside was an all white light. The replacement for that is to be here Tuesday.

I guess where Im at now it would make the most sense to set up the 20L on the rack so I can move the puffer from the office. This would give me a little leeway and not be too rushed. I could break down the 65B and deep clean it really good as I move it over. Nothing really stopping me from doing that since the rack is all ready to go.

Next step would be to get the 30 set up to move the arrowhead puffer. I ordered an aquaclear 70 for it and a little bigger watt heater. I went with the Catilina again but the 150 watt. Once the puffer is moved, I have a 65B to work with as a temporary home for a newly acquired trimac from @lloyd378 (Thanks again)

There is a light at the end of this tunnel but its had a lot of dark moments.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Well I had to call Petco. Disappointing that Petco did not call me back first, but apparently they had worked on it and it is said they will have a 90 coming in on Wednesday night. So conceivably this upcoming weekend I might have my tank... They are said to have a 90 and a 75 coming in. I ask for them to hold the 90 since I want that for the solo trimac.

Im pretty happy with the general choices Ive made on this project regards equipment. Aquaclear 110's and a 70 are being used for filtration and do share some parts. The heaters are Eheim 250w, Fluval E series 300w, Catilina 150w. Lighting are Beamswork EA on upper tanks and Current USA Satellite plus on lower tanks.

While this isnt a 'fishroom' per-say, it will be in a super convenient location to a water source and with a concrete floor not as much an issue in the event of water spillage. Over the years Ive had multiple tanks before but never on this scale with larger tanks available to me. Super excited for end results!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I have more shells and a replacement power supply for a fluval aquasky 48 LED ordered. I moved a male and female shellie to the 55g.
I think you wanted to post that under the ‘what you did with your tank’ section....

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Well I had to call Petco. Disappointing that Petco did not call me back first, but apparently they had worked on it and it is said they will have a 90 coming in on Wednesday night. So conceivably this upcoming weekend I might have my tank... They are said to have a 90 and a 75 coming in. I ask for them to hold the 90 since I want that for the solo trimac.

Im pretty happy with the general choices Ive made on this project regards equipment. Aquaclear 110's and a 70 are being used for filtration and do share some parts. The heaters are Eheim 250w, Fluval E series 300w, Catilina 150w. Lighting are Beamswork EA on upper tanks and Current USA Satellite plus on lower tanks.

While this isnt a 'fishroom' per-say, it will be in a super convenient location to a water source and with a concrete floor not as much an issue in the event of water spillage. Over the years Ive had multiple tanks before but never on this scale with larger tanks available to me. Super excited for end results!

Hold out for the 90g. I think you will be much happier in the long run. Speed bumps become humor bumps in time.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Hold out for the 90g. I think you will be much happier in the long run. Speed bumps become humor bumps in time.
All I can do is just laugh at this point.

I really want the 90 because I already have the future occupant in mind. @lloyd378 got me a trimac and I want him to have a little room since they can get upwards of 15".