Rack Em Up! Garage tank rack project

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Been awhile and no real updates. Stupid cold has me down. Have not even opened up the box for the second Dewalt shelf yet. Its all been sitting. So frustrating since I can see it coming together and just been too sick to do much about it.

I have at least got a ton of stuff cleaned up and some junk thrown out, so some progress. Hopefully feeling a bit better this weekend and can go back at it. I did order some suction cup handles to help with setting the 65B's in place once it gets to that stage.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Cold or no cold I had to work on it a little. Was hoping to center the center rack to the window but wife said dont worry, ‘it’s close enough’. I decided to call it good, if it’s slightly off then it is what it is, lol.

Once in place I mounted the power strip to the back wall.

Forgot that I had some ramp timers sitting around so I got that set up, will see how it works later.

36B45C90-8408-4BE5-85A4-3245C3161065.jpeg
EFDAC6C4-F86A-41AC-A36B-7B8348755DFB.jpeg
Not much, but a little progress.

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Cold or no cold I had to work on it a little. Was hoping to center the center rack to the window but wife said dont worry, ‘it’s close enough’. I decided to call it good, if it’s slightly off then it is what it is, lol.

Once in place I mounted the power strip to the back wall.

Forgot that I had some ramp timers sitting around so I got that set up, will see how it works later.

View attachment 5630
View attachment 5631
Not much, but a little progress.

Water, we want water in that tank. He said sweetly :D

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Water, we want water in that tank. He said sweetly :D

Threw a little water in it...
27443B66-CF1A-4877-A12B-E94AEAFB3F51.jpeg

Rinsed and added the gravel about 44lbs. I have one more 22lb bag, wont need it all but need to add just a little.
25D70FBF-D55A-474F-933E-93EE6EACC5D6.jpeg

Put in the Mopani I had been soaking for this tank. Also added the Seriyu stone I picked up. Blends in with the gravel.
4A8229C5-5F52-437C-B6C3-E2F2C89F02A5.jpeg
7DB243B3-4A01-476E-803B-A9207A246D64.jpeg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
More to come... I am a plastic plant guy but really am picky finding good looking ones. I usually use Weco because they look really good and not overly fake. For this tank Im trying out the Aquatop Silicone vallisneria. I am doing a 22” so that it should reach the surface and hopefully float on top with a bend like real plants and then a 16” & 10”

C5714B56-E0E6-4129-A16F-2D7C96873D9C.jpeg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
The ramp timer didnt ramp... thinking it because the Beamswork is wired a little different. I may just buy the Beamswork model.
2760CAB7-5215-4D63-B95E-021735E0BAE9.jpeg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I just ordered the Beamswork timer. It also Allows me to dim the lighting. No ramping feature but I really want to tone the light down. Pretty bright since I did the full 4 footer. Usually I get the shorter fixtures, I run 24” ones on my 36” tanks and two 36” ones on my 8’ tank. Still plenty of light for fish only set ups.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
How did you fill the tank? Python?
I have a utility sink in the garage so I used the python. I choose a high output faucet for the garage sink so it can fill a tank pretty quickly. Normally I use a python for the gravel vac and a 5/8” drinking water hose for fill up because of the higher flow. Hopefully my garage set ups will really be easy to maintain.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
I just ordered the Beamswork timer. It also Allows me to dim the lighting. No ramping feature but I really want to tone the light down. Pretty bright since I did the full 4 footer. Usually I get the shorter fixtures, I run 24” ones on my 36” tanks and two 36” ones on my 8’ tank. Still plenty of light for fish only set ups.

I have these on all my tanks, and really like them. It's great not having to fuss with turning all the lights on and off every day, and I really like the dimmer function. I have mine set at 100% brightness for the actinic LEDs, and either 20 or 30% brightness for the 6500K LEDs. This seems more than sufficient to promote good growth of my Anubias, while keeping algae growth to a minimum. I wrote an Amazon review with programming instructions, here-

http://www.amazon.com/dp/R30X2A79Z1/?tag=wafishbox-20

Have fun!

IMGP6744.jpg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I have these on all my tanks, and really like them. It's great not having to fuss with turning all the lights on and off every day, and I really like the dimmer function. I have mine set at 100% brightness for the actinic LEDs, and either 20 or 30% brightness for the 6500K LEDs. This seems more than sufficient to promote good growth of my Anubias, while keeping algae growth to a minimum. I wrote an Amazon review with programming instructions, here-

http://www.amazon.com/dp/R30X2A79Z1/?tag=wafishbox-20

Have fun!

View attachment 5639

Thanks, will look at instructions when timer comes in. I just want to tone it down a bit since I have a window nearby so I will also get some ambient light from that.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
@whatthebloody, you had asked about the fill system....

While I love the flexible python tubing, I hate the plastic fittings. I replace them with garden hose mending fittings from Lowe’s. Almost the same price as the python stuff but wont break off like the plastic junk. The tubing will need to be dipped in boiling water to soften enough to get the barb in it, but also much less likely to ever leak under pressure. Only issue is that you have to be careful to not hit the tank with metal fittings but not really that much of an issue since I have it attached to my plastic fill hook.

Long before the python “hook”, I had made this fill up hook of my own. I used 3/4” pipe and valve so the water goes into the tank gently. I put a brass pipe thread to garden hose thread for durability. Been going strong for years now.

91F00ED5-94E6-47AA-AB41-2AEEFD69E5F6.jpeg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Worked on the project tonight...

Bought a set of suction cups, made moving the customaquariums 65B’s much easier. These are 1/2” glass!
9BB92137-69E5-422C-A35A-B4FA76F9B42C.jpeg
01237C13-555B-4512-A03F-44C14D77EE0E.jpeg

Got the 65B in place and realized I cant have the power strip in place... it wouldn’t allow me to get the Aquaclear 110 in/out. So out the strip came. Will have to rethink things but used a multi-outlet plug in for now.
DE128A92-61A8-4746-B80C-ED457F086C0A.jpeg
Puffer back in his home
802FB05C-45E2-468F-A95B-9B372DD181DE.jpeg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Looks great
Thanks. Im at a stage where I have to work on creating more shelving before I can move on to getting the other rack set up. Once shelving is in place then I can move stuff off the floor and make some real progress. This is a spot above the washer, dryer and utility sink. Huge blank wall of space that needs shelves. Looking at doing the Rubbermaid Fasttrack rail and shelving for this area.
071691517498.jpg

Last edited:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Another update. After the issue with the long power strip being in the way of the Aquaclear filter I had to get smaller strips that will mount on the side. I went with the Yellow Jacket metal ones. The yellow is slightly different than Dewalt yellow but it looks “commercial”. For being advertised as metal strips was surprised to see the back wall mount part was plastic.
E1452547-EA46-4C9C-B803-EC4B9C531D6D.jpeg

I ordered another 48” Beamswork light and timer for the next 75 gallon too.

I wanted to try a different gravel too, so another Pisces product. I got one 22lb. Bag of what they call ‘midnight pearl’. A very small gravel mix at about 2-4mm in size and dark toned. Not sure if I will do this in the 75 or redo the hairy puffers 65B and use his substrate in the 75. I still need at least one or two more bags of this.

54BB16D4-4A24-4FD8-9BAF-54666865657D.jpeg

By our utility sink where the old stand was I got a little cabinet that will get a formica top and make work by the sink much more convenient. Found it at Habitat for Humanity, on sale for $6. Looks like dresser drawers but is a sink base with doors that open!
52D4C048-483F-41DD-9101-EA643A5F69FA.jpeg

I need to get a picture of it with the counter on it but still woking on that part, will update soon.

Petco has the sale on tanks going and I need to call around to get the other 75 but I already have the 250w Eheim heater, Aquaclear 110, Beamswork Led light and timer for it already. Still need to clear some stuff and build the other Dewalt rack.

Thats it for now.