Rack Em Up! Garage tank rack project

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
So the idea is to replace the 30 gallon with these two options

32 gallon Fluval Flex. I would build a small platform to sit it up off the shelf and then let the tank overhang the front. I dont like the 32” length compared to the 36” tank currently but the effect might be cool.
9507C220-21BA-4037-ADE5-83A035650690.png
The next idea is a 46 gallon bowfront. It would be 36” wide and fill the space the same. It would be just a tad deeper and taller.
400142F7-7E85-4075-85D6-CDA2E137B2FA.jpeg
I could also do a 40 or 50 breeder tank but with the window behind a 18” tank is a bit too deep. Plus another square tank would be pretty bland.

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Update picture
View attachment 7349
Loving the bigger 90’s on top, even though maintenance is a bit of a chore on a step ladder. Glad I left so much room above the 65B’s since it makes it easier to pull out the Aquaclear filters when it comes time to clean, plus gravel vac room. Still bothered by the 30 gallon tank in center. Want it to ‘pop’ more and feel a 46g bowfront or the Fluval flex 32g would do that.

I agree that a larger tank would fill out the view but I don't think the bowfront would be a good fit. I'm not a fan of the distorted view they cause.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I hadn't thought about the distortion issue... I had a 72 gallon bowfront years ago and remember how it had a few bad spots...

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
With stimulus money coming the decision was made to change out the 30 gallon. I decided on the 46 gallon bowfront up top. Bought the tank today.
IMG_20201229_150938291.jpg
Tank will be 4" taller and I am redoing the top so that the bow will extend out past the racking.
IMG_20201229_150847117.jpg

New 46 gallon bowfront tank
IMG_20201229_151055210.jpg

This one has the black silicone
IMG_20201229_150951620.jpg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Was looking out in my shed and I have a piece of 3/4” plywood for the shelf already. Will see if I can do some of the wood working tomorrow. Kind of tempted to keep the 30... I could drop the bottom self and put it under the bowfront, lol. I dont need another tank! But I already have it so....

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Was looking out in my shed and I have a piece of 3/4” plywood for the shelf already. Will see if I can do some of the wood working tomorrow. Kind of tempted to keep the 30... I could drop the bottom self and put it under the bowfront, lol. I dont need another tank! But I already have it so....

I would so be doing that if it was me :D

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I would so be doing that if it was me :D
Was seriously considering keeping the arrowhead in the 30 gallon and then moving the hairy puffer into the 46 gallon bowfront. The hairy gets so excited when it sees me and is very interactive thats why its always had a fairly large tank to itself even though it would be fine in a 30 gallon tank. Then I would have a 65B open to grow out the red devil in its own tank. The other 65B could stay as a community tank.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Cut the 3/4" plywood top and did edge band on it. I was just a couple inches short so I didnt do the back of the shelf.
IMG_20201230_114808769.jpg

This is what it looks like with tank on it
IMG_20201230_121807740.jpg
From the side. I did about a 5/8" lip.
IMG_20201230_121903754.jpg

Behind the tank I have about 6" of shelf so that there is room for the Aquaclear 110, with no interference to the window behind it.
IMG_20201230_122132735.jpg
I am letting the wood patch dry, then will sand, prime and paint. Im debating adding a thicker part on the front where it overhangs. It would just be for looks, kind of a filler. Im also thinking of putting something raised along the back to hold a power strip, still thinking what I will do for that.

Thats it for now. Will update as I finish a few more things.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
lol, not you too! The support is overwhelming. No wonder we all have multiple tanks. :D

It all started with a single 'free' goldfish from the local department store when I was 8 years old. :roll

Truth be told, I was already fascinated with fishes. My buddies were all trying to catch perch in the local pond, but I was off in the shallows, watching sunfish pairs defend their nests and fry. I always thought it would be really cool to have that going on in an aquarium, so it's no wonder I gravitated to cichlids early on. :)

FishBeast

Cut the 3/4" plywood top and did edge band on it. I was just a couple inches short so I didnt do the back of the shelf.
View attachment 7452

This is what it looks like with tank on it
View attachment 7453
From the side. I did about a 5/8" lip.
View attachment 7454

Behind the tank I have about 6" of shelf so that there is room for the Aquaclear 110, with no interference to the window behind it.
View attachment 7455
I am letting the wood patch dry, then will sand, prime and paint. Im debating adding a thicker part on the front where it overhangs. It would just be for looks, kind of a filler. Im also thinking of putting something raised along the back to hold a power strip, still thinking what I will do for that.

Thats it for now. Will update as I finish a few more things.
That looks amazing! Your jigsaw skill (if that’s what you used) is impressive. And yes, as the other addicts here have mentioned... keep the 30! Hahaha