Lets talk heaters....

40GallonsOfDoom

Havent tried SICCE yet. A few reviews made it seem as if they were not as easy as they make it out to be. Not a simple Wi-Fi or bluetooth set up but something about having to have the phone really close to the unit to be able to set it... Not 100% sure I got that right but I seem to remember a reviewer saying something along those lines.
I'll do some research. Brb

40GallonsOfDoom

They seem to consistently not keep temp, not get to temp, and not turn on. Youtubers, which I don't trust, sing their praises. But actual reviews on Amazon and Reddit say to avoid and stick with the old Eheim.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Contributing Member Level III
Let me get this right- aquarium heaters now need WiFi or Bluetooth to talk to your smartphone? To do exactly what? Call me old-fashioned, but I haven't had to replace any of the classic Eheim-Jager heaters in my 12 tanks at least since I've been in this house (12+ years), and I don't remember how long before that. I'm a strong believer in both 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it' and 'You get what you pay for,' so I'll pass on all the wireless technology and stick with tried-and-true.

40GallonsOfDoom

Let me get this right- aquarium heaters now need WiFi or Bluetooth to talk to your smartphone? To do exactly what? Call me old-fashioned, but I haven't had to replace any of the classic Eheim-Jager heaters in my 12 tanks at least since I've been in this house (12+ years), and I don't remember how long before that. I'm a strong believer in both 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it' and 'You get what you pay for,' so I'll pass on all the wireless technology and stick with tried-and-true.
Well it seems you don't even get what you pay for with these. The connectivity doesn't work. Lots of reviews say they don't connect without being right next to the glass and even then, they don't work properly. I can see the usefulness of being able to check the temps quickly via wifi, I do sorta the same thing with my smoker and being able to lock my door from over 1000 miles away is pretty good. Last night I locked my front door from OKC. Being able to see my tank temps while I'm gone would be nice. In theory I could have my wife check them if I noticed something out of tolerance. But again, that's not something that you would have to worry about if you had a quality heater and one of those temp monitors that automatically adjusts. If it worked, for $50, I'd consider it.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
My Fluval flex has one of the high end lights built in that is bluetooth compatible and you can change the settings Via an app, for lighting this totally works. But heaters just need the be solid and dependable. While it sounds good in theory to be able to do all the things they claim, the real world applications on the heaters just aren’t there yet.

Last edited:

40GallonsOfDoom

I agree. I was just saying I see the appeal if the product did what it was supposed to do and was reliable. I would imagine if they moved the controller components out of the heater and put them on the cord outside the tank, they could make it much better. I wouldn't be surprised if the reliability issues were because of the heater cooking the wireless components. Electronics get goofy when they get hot.